Mozilla Fire fox 9.0 Final

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by NICK ADSL UK, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

All 42 addons I had installed are compatible with the new Firefox 9 (I use NoSquint and it's working ok).

2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

The problem lies with "Addon Compatibility Reporter.xpi" and not with other addons.

Best regards,

KOR!

3. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

NoSquint or a similiar is built into Firefox now, and NoSquint is no longer required.

Go to View > Toolbar > Customize ... and the - + is there.

Best regards,

KOR!

4. Montmorency

Montmorency Registered Member

It doesn't have the number of options NoSquint has.

5. I clean installed works well on W7 64 bit, noticeably faster and easy on resource impressive.

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

For anyone interested I did get it working on the laptop. I started Firefox in safe mode (which requires holding down the "Shift" key while launching since the have removed the menu shortcut) and disabled all of the add-ons. It then started up normally and I proceeded to enable them back one at a time. I expected to eventually find the one causing the problem, but all of them are now enabled and it still works. o_O

7. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

8.0.1 is the latest.

Attached Files:

8. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I don't really trust that 'About Mozilla Firefox' window much to be honest. I had to update to 8.0.1 from Mozilla's site as it kept telling me 8.0.0. was up to date.

9. ABee

ABee Registered Member

8.0 and 8.1 are the same, aside from 8.1 having a stability fix that only affected Firefox being run on Apple computers, or something like that.
    So 8.0 is up to date (aside from 9.0 now being released) for the vast majority of users.

10. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Did they seriously jump from 8.1 to 9?

11. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

OK thanks, that makes sense. Still no sign of Fx 9 ...

12. guest

guest Guest

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It's not that weird really. A number is a number, and it looks like version 8 was one of the less problematic releases in a while, so there was no need for 8.2 and so on. Btw, I agree with you in regards to Chrome fiddling around with features whilst Firefox is getting their performance record spruced up.

14. Hungry Man

It's not like Firefox is without bugs haha they have loads of open bug reports.

Maybe I just haven't used a stable browser in a while. I get multiple updates throughout the month with Beta/Dev.

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

There is no browser without bugs, lol, that wasn't the way I was trying to put it. At least with Firefox I know things aren't going to wildly change from one release to the next, lol. With Chrome, I never knew what to expect, and their stable feels like being on a Beta/Dev to me :D

16. Hungry Man

Really? That's interesting, I feel so far the opposite.

Chrome's UI has been fairly stagnant, with only the addition of themes and an area allotted for extensions whereas Firefox's UI has been going through major revisions within the last year.

Chrome adds extra features but they don't really effect anyone unless they go looking for them.

17. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Actually, I figured out the problem, it was caused by Norton Internet security 2012 add-ons. I was searching for the Firefox v9 crash and found this link. So, before upgrading I disabled both Norton addons in v8.01, upgraded to v9, now firefox starts fine. I have left Norton addons disabled for the moment. Hopefully, Norton will release an update soon that will be compatible with Firefox 9.

See, if you also have Norton product installed. Just disable Norton's addons and leave the compatibility reporter installed and enabled. It is not the cause of the crash.

18. Raza0007

Your Norton internet security 2012 is causing the problem. Just disable those addons and v9 will start fine.

19. Raza0007

Yes, you are right NoSquint is not required, but I am used to it so I keep it. It also provides more functionality than the basic built in zoom functions of firefox. I usually stick with the products I use, as long as they don't cause me problems.

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I think that it's not necessarily the main UI that feels like an ongoing experiment, but the behind the scenes things, whether that be the settings or "unseen" tweaks to the nuts and bolts. I don't know Hungry, I've at least attempted to use every Chrome version since 10, and it's just never a good experience. It never feels stable to me. Firefox on the other hand, yes, there have been some UI changes this year (I'd hardly deem them radical though), but for the most part things underneath have stayed settled. The only "problems" I've seen since about v 4, have to do with addons. No weird crashes, no stuttering performance, no one day it's this, the next day its that.

21. Francis93

Francis93 Registered Member

I think that update is for other operating systems (i.e. Mac). Mine still says 8.0 and up to date.

22. ALiasEX

ALiasEX Registered Member

23. Hungry Man

The UI changes, while I think are great, seem fairly radical to me.

Chrome's backend has actually been changing somewhat - I think there's a new garbage collection policy either for HTML5 or Javascript that can give some fair performance improvements.

But for the most part the changes have consisted of adding new features, definitely.

I think Chrome 17 and 18 will be the next versions to implement significant performance changes.

24. Raza0007

25. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

I have no issues in that department. I'm just hoping (in vain, I believe) that they'll see fit to add some sort of bookmarks sidebar, that can be pinned to the left side of the screen, pretty much like *every* other mainstream browser already contains. It's a feature that has been requested to be added to Chrome for years but Google has, somewhat inexplicably, given such requests short shrift.

I would seriously consider using Chrome as my primary browser if it had such a sidebar. Until that time, I'll be sticking to Firefox and using Chrome only occasionally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.