Mozilla Celebrates a Year of Shrinking Firefox Memory

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hungry Man, Jun 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

2. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

It definitely has gotten a lot better.

3. Tsast42

Tsast42 Registered Member

It's kind of characteristic of Mozilla though that they've solved the longstanding memory bloat just when memory has stopped being such a serious issue for most people.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Hurrah! We are celebrating, right?

5. Tsast42

Tsast42 Registered Member

Sounds like someone's calling me a grump :ouch:

6. Daveski17

I was just being a little ironic. I mean, of all the things to celebrate, shrinking memory loss is not a exactly a jubilee is it? More like a half pint of slightly warm mild ale sitting in a corner of a dark pub. ;)

I'd be more likely to celebrate if Mozilla stopped trying to emulate Google, had a realistic upgrade cycle & fixed the main problems. Then I may party a little ...

7. culla

culla Registered Member

what's the main problems?

8. Daveski17

Where do I start? Seriously though, Firefox/Waterfox is working well on my desktop but I have noticed problems with responsiveness on notebooks/laptops that I have used. The tabs seem to be taking a lot of RAM & right-click drop down menus aren't very responsive when you first try to use them. SeaMonkey seems to be inheriting some of these problems so I reckon it's a Gecko thing. I really think that a lot of problems people are having with Firefox, which is contributing to it being less used, stem from the rapid release cycles that Mozilla are trying to emulate Chrome with.

9. tlu

tlu Guest

I haven't noticed that. However, improvements arriving in FF15 (mentioned here , further details here) might alleviate your problems.

I've been watching the Memshrink project from its start and think that they've done a really good job. An interesting site related to that project is https://areweslimyet.com/

10. Daveski17

I've noticed the problems I discussed earlier on more than one computer, although both only had 2 Gb of RAM or less, I've noticed the same thing on SeaMonkey (to a lesser extent). It could be an extension issue, but it doesn't explain why none of these problems manifest on my powerful 64 bit PC. No other browser on my notebook suffers from this problem. I've been told that a lot of processes run on Fx tabs & that could be a factor. It's no accident I'm having to make this reply in Opera 12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.