Mozilla Browser 1.1 released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by crockett, Aug 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hello everybody :)

A quick few lines to mention the release of web browser Mozilla 1.1

Download address is http://www.mozilla.org/releases/

Make sure to download version 1.1, and not version 1.1Beta

Although a big fan of Opera , I regularly like to play with Mozilla. Never a bad thing to multiply one's possible choices.

The first thing to know is that Mozilla AND Opera AND Internet Explorer have absolutely no problem whatsoever to coexist on a single machine or OS. They do on mine, and I periodically switch from one to the other as soon as I feel like doing so.

The point is that dwl Mozilla for testing/fun purposes does not imply you'll have to abandon any other browser you may currently enjoy.

One interesting thing to mention is that Mozilla enjoys its own embedded cookie-manager, so I believe a lot of you will enjoy the try. :)

Mozilla is sheer freeware for single-pc/non-commercial home users.

A quick few tips now on the configuration process for anyone who may be interested.

Once the dwl is completed, disconnect from the net or disable Internet traffic before starting the installation process.

This to prevent Mozilla from immediately connecting to its organization to see if any new version is available. I never like this feature on any software, not to mention that it is rather useless for the time being since we know this already is the latest version :)

When the installation is completed, start the browser. On top of Mozilla's desktop, you should see, among others, the EDIT menu. Clicking on this displays a folder containing the menu we're interested in, i.e. PREFERENCES. Please click on it.

Under NAVIGATOR, check the mention which suits you the best as far as opening page is concerned.

Next, double-click on PRIVACY AND SECURITY. Click on COOKIES to program Mozilla's handling of cookies. Then do the same with IMAGES. Next, IMHO the box should be unchecked under FORMS. Boxes should also be unchecked under PASSWORDS (unless your memory is really bad). SSL boxes can be checked.

You'll always have the opportunity to change your mind while real-time surfing the web, since Mozilla asks you intelligent managing questions in the process. :)

Now, please double-click on ADVANCED. The two first boxes I like to have unchecked, especially since I'm not sure which version of Java you may have on your machine. The third box (QUICK LAUNCH option) is up to personal tastes.

SCRIPTS AND PLUG-INS asks you whether or not you'd like to enable JavaScripts, and give precisions as to under which conditions to allow it.

Again, Mozilla asks you real-time questions to confirm these options on a site-by-site basis while surfing the web.

SOFTWARE INSTALLATION is where one can uncheck the 'Check for updates option' if one wants to.

Other features you may explore by yourself as you get to know Mozilla better.

Internet Explorer's favorites should already have been imported during the initial process. :)

Hope you'll enjoy the experience. As always, please report questions and comments here so we can all benefit.

Rgds, Crockett. :cool:

2. root

root Registered Member

Last time I tried Mozilla, I could not get my Opera favorites into mozilla. I don't have much in my IE favorites, so is there any way you know of to get Operas Favorites into Mozilla?

3. crockett

Hello Root ;)

Man, that's a very good question ! When was the last time you played with Mozilla ? Didn't know you did try it.

I first tried to use the Import/Export Opera's option, but it got me nowhere.

Also tried the good old 'cut and paste' trick, which I'm afraid didn't get me very far either.

As if fighting against a common enemy, both Opera and Mozilla allow for Explorer's favorites import (manually to be done in Opera, automatically done by Mozilla), but it seems they never even bothered to be able to import/export each other's bookmarks either way !

I'll have to spend some time on that one, even though I'm not even sure it may be done. Gonna go look for Mozilla's support forum, if there is any.

Well, seems the neverending quest for Internet knowledge still goes on. :D

BTW, I tried the combined use of JRE 1.4 and Mozilla. That one works perfectly well.

Surprisingly though, it seems Mozilla with [JavaScript enabled / Java disabled] displays more informations about plug-ins than when [Java and JavaScript] are used in combination - funny. I thought it 'd have been the other way around. :eek:

I'll post whichever result I may find on the subject you raised... Even though you and I both know it should never be a real-life issue - why would one want to permanently switch from Opera to ANY other browser ? :D

On the other end, Mozilla does enter scan.sygate.com testing procedure without fear - and survives the tests without any problem, when Opera still won't enter the fray. (Remember though that Mozilla needs additional software to block referrers - can be ATGuard, NIS, Proxomitron, WebWasher, or Outpost...)

Anyway, these browsers are really exciting pieces of software, aren't they ?

I wonder if anyone else around here ever tried Mozilla besides you and me...

Rgds, Crockett :cool:

4. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Hi Crockett! I have a wee small suggestion. If Mozilla will accept IE Favorites but not Opera's Bookmarks then migrate the Opera Bookmarks to IE and next migrate the IE Favorites to Mozilla. This should work, don't you think?

I'll give Mozilla a try. It sounds pretty interesting. I have IE and Opera now.

5. crockett

Hi Prince :)

Glad to see you felt like joining in the experience !

You're absolutely right about using IE to transfer Opera's bookmarks to IE to Mozilla. Theoretically it should work (did you try it ?), but what I would really like to find is a way (if any) to do it without the 'help' of IE.

As we all know, these browsers are somewhat competing against each other, and two of them are trying to dispute some fair piece of pie to the third one.

So I'd really like to find out about the interactions between the non-IE browsers, and get to see the independence degree they can reach - each one on its own, or even combined... :D

We already know Opera can do an incredible lot by itself... Now let's see what 'the lizard' can accomplish.

BTW, which referrer-blocker do you use in conjunction with browsers if any ?

Don't forget to come back and tell us about your feelings after you try Mozilla for the first time !

See you soon,

Crockett :cool:

6. Prince_Serendip

:) Hi Crockett! In answer to your question:
    I am still using Naviscope 8.70. Works great and helps in other ways too. It hides my system info, blocks ads, backgrounds and pop-ups/pop-unders. It can also block cookies and Java but I don't use those when I'm trawling the boards. It's a pretty good little app for Libertyware (freeware).

As for Mozilla, I'll let you know. I can't install it until later.

7. crockett

Ok ;)

BTW, Naviscope working fine coupled with Opera ?! Or only for IE ?

Crockett (will be back in a few hours).

8. Prince_Serendip

Hi Crockett! Naviscope 8.70 works fine with both IE 5.5sp3 and Opera 6.05 on the final edition of Win98se. I guess we will soon find out if it works with Mozilla! ;)

9. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

Don't expect Opera to make it easy to move it's bookmarks to Mozilla. They view Mozilla as serious competition from what I was reading on their forums.

10. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Mozilla is a great web browser - and the 1.1 final version has finally fixed a bug that prevented it from running on my system (1.0 worked, 1.1 alpha and beta would lock up and random points while loading).

The only minor issue that I can find is that it will mess up page formatting every once in a while - but that has been greatly lessened, and seems to always occur when pages use IE-specific coding. But this latest release has definitely improved upon that.

It just keeps getting better. :)

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.