Moving to new MB and chipset.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dinjal546, Sep 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dinjal546

dinjal546 Registered Member

Need Advice.
    I have Acronis True IMage for Server
    I currenlty have AMD XP 2500 based system running on hardware RAID array of 120 GB. OS is XP Pro. Motherboard is KR7A-RAID

Want to move to Intel P4 using different chipset and RAID card. Motherboard is Abit AS8 based on Intel 865PE chipset. RAID array will be on a
    Silicon Image based PCI card.

What is the best way to move

One way I was thinking was.

1. Take a backup of RAID array to a internal hard drive.
    2. After that install new motherboard.
    3. Install RAID card in PCI slot and put the 2 disks in the RAID array.
    4. Connect the hard drive which has the backup to the primary IDE located on the motherboard
    3. Boot using the recovery CD and restore image to the new RAID array on the PCI card.
    4. Now reinstall XP on the new array. This will preserve all my data settings but will install new drivers for the
    new chipset and RAID array,

The question I have is that the recovery CD is based on Linux and will it recognize the new MB while booting and
    will it recognize the RAID card which has array on it. The RAID card is based on Silicon Image Chip.

Any suggestions if this wiil work.

Thanks,

Dinesh

2. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

The new raid controller represents a problem. You most likely will have to format and install XP using the F6 key method to get the drivers for the RAID to boot. Unless XP supports the RAID controller by default, I don't see any way to load the image and it work. However, there is a small chance that if you set the BIOS to boot from the RAID controller and have the image loaded that it can/will boot. For that to work, the new RAID controlller must be able to read the array from the previous controller, which none of mine can do. I would plan on a format, sorry to say. Wish you the best of luck.

Regards,

Eliot

3. dinjal546

dinjal546 Registered Member

I have the drivers for RAID controller and I will be able to reinstall Xp correctly.

Will the restore image to the RAID array on RAID card work correctly using the Rescue CD. I am more worried about that since I am confident about reinstalling XP once the restore image goes fine.

Dinesh

4. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

I can't say for sure if it will see your new RAID array.(Rescue CD) If you create the image, then create a new array, then load the image to the new array, you may be in luck if XP wants to play nice. I have had that work come to think of it. Just make sure you have everything backed up and not on the array just incase a disaster occurs. It is easy to lose everything when playing with RAID controllers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.