Moving mail from Thunderbird to new mail program

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by rondijack, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rondijack

rondijack Registered Member

I am suddenly having problems with Thunderbird that I can't seem to solve. Is there another mail program that I can move my mail to from Thunderbird? Thanks for any information you can give me.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thunderbird FAQ

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Can't you uninstall and re-install Thunderbird or re-install Thunderbird over the current Thunderbird o_O
    As far as I know all your emails, email-address-book, account-settings are kept in the profiles-folder, which isn't deleted during an uninstall.
    If you take a backup of your harddisk first, nothing can go wrong.

5. rondijack

Here is more detail regarding the problem. I had to reinstall my operating system.Before doing so Thunderbird was working fine. After doing so I reinstalled Thunderbird and restored using mozilla backup. I have two e-mail accounts with yahoo. One is working fine.When I try to get my mail with the other I am asked for my password and then I get this message ."Sending of password did not succeed.Mail server local host responded username or password is incorrect." Note I have another computer with thunderbird installed and I am able to get mail from this account with the other computer. I cannot figure out what the problem is since one account works fine and not the other. Both worked fine before the reinstallation and backup.

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Is thunderbird using the right port(s) for the account that is failing authentication?

Incoming Mail (POP3) Server: pop.mail.yahoo.com (Use SSL, port: 995)

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com (Use SSL, port: 465, use authentication)

7. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

If you copy the profile from the working computer to the problem computer you have two options:
    1: The problem is solved, meaning that the problem was based in the profile.
    2: The problem is not solved, meaning that something is wrong with the installation of Thunderbird or network.

8. rondijack

Thank you all for your help. I have new information in case I need it in the future. However I think (after a lot of frustration)that I have found the answer to my problem. A single virus slipped through my defenses while I was reinstalling my software. A virus scan found and removed it and my problem seems to have disappeared. Funny though how it only affected one account and not any of my other ones. Once again thank you all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.