Moving from Raid 0 to Raid 1 with Universal Restore

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by MartinB82, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MartinB82

MartinB82 Registered Member

Hello,

I have seen posts about moving from a single disk to Raid 0, but I already have Raid 0 (with a hardware Raid controller). I wish to move over to Raid 1.

I believe this will require a format, and I will lose my data. Accordingly I have purchased Acronis True Image Workstation 9.1 and Acronis Universal Restore.

I intend to backup my files and data first just in case first. Then I will create an Acronis image of my entire disk(s). I will then change my disks to run as Raid 1. My Dell manual describes how this is done. My data will be lost.

I will then use Acronis Universal Restore. It is at this point that my understanding of exactly what will happen is a little hazy. My Acronis PDF manual says a bit about the principles of its use, but not much about the practical process of using it:

"The primary goal of Acronis Universal Restore is to boot the restored system. The current version of this product handles only HAL and mass storage device drivers and does not install drivers for other devices (sound cards, network adapters, video cards etc.). Once the
    restored system starts, Windows takes control and initiates the usual first-start process. At this point, you will be able to specify drivers for other devices if Windows cannot find them automatically."

So how exactly will Universal Restore and True Image Workstation work together to achieve restoration of my complete computer image? What are the steps of the process? What screen messages might I see, and when should I insert which disks. Yes I could work most of this out for myself BUT...

...This is my only private computer. If this operation goes wrong I will have to manually reinstall Vista, all the drivers, all the programs before I can even use the computer again, and then all the updates, and readjust all the settings before it is back to normal again.

Clearly I stand to save a lot of time if I get this right on the first shot, so I'd be very grateful for some advice aimed at making sure this goes right first time. Thanks.

2. MartinB82

MartinB82 Registered Member

I should perhaps add that my computer is a Dell Dimension 9200, running Vista Business 32 bit.
    It has 2x 250 GB hard drives, currently configured for Raid 0, as I explained above this is to change.
    It has a DVD writing drive and I have a stack of DVD+Rs and DVD+RWs. I would intend to write my Acronis image to DVD+R. I will make sure the DVDs are formatted simply as 'write-once-only' basic data DVDs, not clever drag and drop formats (or will True Image Workstation specify this for me?).

What I really need to know is how Universal Restore will mesh with the restoration of my Acronis DVD based system image?

I want to make sure that at that point where Windows is gone, and its time for the restore to begin that I have the right resources ready and know exactly what to do in what order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.