Moving desktop n my documents to non-OS partition

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by aigle, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I remember in the past when u install Returnil, you get an option to move ur Desktop and My Documents to non-OS partition. I recently installed returnil and did not find this option. Does this option exits still?

Thanks

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi aigle :)

It exists but would suggest that you ignore the implementation in the RVS tools if you are using Vista or Server 2003 as the native Windows implementation is more robust and effective, especially when changing back to a default setup in the future. For XP however, the Returnil System Folder relocation tool would be of benefit. The tool is located at:

Start > All Programs > Returnil > Returnil Tools

Mike

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks, i missed that.

4. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I'm curious about this.
    If I move these to another partition and then a few months later I have to restore my baseline image or I do a fresh install of XP, will XP automatically find the paths to these folders or is there something I would have to do to get it all running together?
    Thanks.
    Hugger

5. Coldmoon

Hi Hugger and welcome :)
    No, XP will not do this automatically. If you are using the RVS relocation tool you would simply click the restore default button for the appropriate folder moved. The downside to moving in either direction however is that your shortcuts do not make the move with the folder so you must copy your existing shortcuts and then paste them into the new or restored location.

In XP, you may also get more functionality using the Tweak UI program Microsoft includes in their Power Toys collection. Be aware that Tweak UI is for XP so don't try it on Vista...

For Vista, this is now included as an easy to access option:
    Right click Properties > click the Location tab...

Mike

Edit: Spelling and Vista information added for other readers.

6. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Is it recommended that all users move the desktop and my documents to another partition or just those users that would be testing malware?
    Hugger

7. Coldmoon

No recommendations one way or the other as that is best decided by the user or Admin, not us. The main thing is to experiment and find the configuration that works best for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.