Moving Backup Location to a new HD.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ChicknDip, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChicknDip

ChicknDip Registered Member

Hi,

I currently have my backup location on a small HD, and it's full. Is it possible to move the backup location manually (using move) to the new HD ? Will scheduled task then still work ?

TIA!

2. ChicknDip

Anyone ?

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

YOu could try moving the cfg file to the new disk and that might work, but I think the win registry will be not be appropriately updated and ATI will be confounded.

To be safe, I think you should create a new backup location on the new HD. You can then copy/move the tib files from the old Backup Location to the new one. In any event, you will need to edit the related backup tasks so that they point to the new Backup Location.

Good luck,
    sh

4. ChicknDip

Thanks shieber, I created a new folder on the new HD called "Backup of XP Partition", I created a new Backup location there, which created the new acronis_backup_place.cfg which looks like this
    ....I copied over my .TIB files from the old location, and they all Validated correct.
    So, you can see that I restricted the location to 10 incrementals.

I edited the tasks to point them to the new location, just did a scheduled backup, but unfortunatelly ATI didn't care about the 10 file limit, and created a new incremental 2007_07_13_04_27_11_859D11.TIB.

As you see, this is the 11th slice, so it doesn't follow the rule I set to keep the maximum incremental count on 10.

Thanks for the help !

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Sorry. That should have worked.

You could try moving the old tib files to some other directory just for safekeeping and then make a small task of just a few files and test it on the new backup location. If it works then you should probably be okay if you create a new task in place of the old one. Sometimes task files seem to get confused when you make changes, even though they shouldn't.

6. quika

quika Registered Member

Hello,

I am interested in this thread as well. I am in the process of moving my backups from a server to a NAS device I recently purchased and want to maintain the integrity of my incremental backups. I have copied the files to the new device and updated my backup task but it does not appear to recognize the old .cfg file. and I can't change the placement of back up location as part of the edit backup location function. That sounds like a feature request but until then whato_O?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.