Mounting backup archives not possible on x64 systems?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by E-Buzz, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E-Buzz

E-Buzz Registered Member

I´ve read that created backup archives can´t be mounted as harddrives and assigned a drive letter on x64 systems, is that true? If it is, what makes this operation impossible to perform? Lack of x64 driver for this function? Will this vital feature be available in the new upcoming version?

I´ve tried both Acronis True Image 2009 and O&O Diskimage, and none of them can mount backup archives when installed on x64 systems. I had my hopes that Paragon could, but ayyyyyh, dissapointment again :'(

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello E-Buzz,

You are correct that it's a lack of driver support on 64 bit that makes this task near impossible. ;)

However, with Drive Backup 10 coming in the couple of months, 64bit mounting will be supported.

3. Paragon_Tony

Paragon_Tony Former Paragon Moderator

Hi E-Buzz,

While you cannot mount images under 64-bit Windows, you can mount an image OF a 64-bit OS from 32-bit Windows.

There are two other methods that you can use to retrive individual files & folders from a backup, both of which can be done from a 64-bit OS.

File Transfer Wizard
    • Click the Tools drop-down menu, File Transfer Wizard.
    • Click Next, Browse to your backup file on the right.
    • Double click the .PBF (if you backed up a partition by itself), or the .000 file that corresponds to the partition you wish to enter (if you backed up the entire disk at once). The name will be similar to MyBackup_0000p.000 for the first (0) partition - MyBackup_0001p.000 for the second (1) partition – MyBackup_0002p.000 for the third (2) partition.
    • After you double click, wait a moment. It could take up to 2 minutes for a backup over 100GB before you will see the + icon expand beneath the file. Usually it takes about 2 seconds.
    • Expand the + to see the contents inside the backup.
    • Highlight what you need and click the left arrow in the middle to place the item(s) on the clipboard.
    • Click next to select a destination to restore to.
    • This feature is available from Windows and both Recovery CD’s.

Volume Explorer
    • On the main screen (Disk View) there are 3 vertical tabs in the middle of the main window and the left hand side bar.
    • Open the Volume Explorer Tab.
    • Browse to your backup file and double click it to enter. In the volume explorer you can double click the .PBF file regardless of the type of backup. If you backed up an enter drive, it will expand all of the partitions beneath the PBF, or just the individual partition from the 000. This is slightly different (a little more convenient) than the File Transfer Wizard.
    • This option is only supported from Windows or the WinPE Recovery CD.

4. E-Buzz

E-Buzz Registered Member

Thanks for answers guys, now i know. Mounting archives is one of the more essential needs i have so i guess i´ll have to wait and see. I was actually in the process of purchasing Drive Backup, but question is, will there be any upgrade option available from Drive Backup 9 to new version? Otherwise it´s a waste of money to buy it now and then have to shell out the same (or even higher, which is more likely) amount of money again.

The offer for Drive Backup Pro valid right now is a really good one though.....Descisions, descisions :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.