Most secure: FF or Opera?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Jo Ann, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tisungho

tisungho Registered Member

Have Opera disable javascript globally, then you can enable it for a specific website which you trust.

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Thanks - will give opera another go. I can't use if as my main browser but provided I can disable javascript it can do no harm as an alternate.

3. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

This will probably liven up this discussion :D

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i know this browser war keeps arising, and im always torn between the big 4 aswell.

these being:

Firefox
    IE7
    Safari
    Opera

i think the following:

Safari is the fastest browser for me, has a basic interface but displays websites in a crisp-font showing ultra clear text.

Opera is probably the most secure and probably will continue to be so

Firefox is what i would call the 'cool-browser', it has a good GUI, a fast speed, good security and plenty of add-ons, but i always chop and change from firefox for different, but small reasons that just get on my nerves a few times.

IE7, sure... people flame at its security, however; its a very decent browser that offers a nice layout and everything an average user will need to 'browse' ;)

at the moment, im playing around with Safari but I, like you, change all the time because i simply cant decide.

i think for speed and the displays of websites, Safari gets my vote.
    I think for security Opera gets the vote.
    I think for addons and a general 'coolness', Firefox wins.
    If you aint too bothered, but want a nice browser with nice GUI etc, IE7.

your thoughts?

5. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Whatever innoticeably marginal speed advantage Safari may have over Opera in rendering speed is more than nullified during real-life usage by its lack of shortcuts and general clunkiness. The UI is pretty, but lacks Opera's skinnability and functionality.

That's probably about it. Apple needs to design Safari to approach the handiness of Opera/Firefox, but before that it also really needs to train Safari to behave like a Windows browser first.

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

even though i aint a mac user, it feels right to me at the moment to use Safari on vista.

im used to it from my Iphone now, and it is a welcomed change, especially in browsing speed.

it doesnt have all the customizations that Opera and Firefox have, but its a pretty decent and fast browser.

I think they wont change the basic-looking GUI as i think they like their Mac-Look.

like i said, i never know the answer to the browser war as i change all the time myself, i wish someone would seriously make an un-biased comparsion/testing and maybe that would make my own mind up :D

7. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Most secure: Fx or Opera?

As secure as you make them. All of the browsers (including IE) can be made to run fairly secure. My advice is spend time using each one and then pick the browser Fx or Opera that suits you the best.

Don't get caught in the false sense of security that one browser is more secure that the other.

I have use both, I prefer Fx because I am the most familiar with the interface (Fx user since Phoenix) and like that I can add features using extensions. If fact I use the Secure Login extension which is similar to Opera's Wand login.

Nothing wrong with Opera, just that my preference is for Fx.

8. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Sandboxie.................can be a pain to recover files all the time when you are a big downloader like me. I have tried Opera several time and don't care for it. As far as secure. Firefox with No Script and Ad Block Plus makes for very secure surfing. No Script especially. No videos,no ads, no nothing shows up unless you allow it.

9. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Firefox + No script + Adblock plus + CS Lite + Roboform has been my set up for a long time. I know that some minimalists will say that this is way too much security but I don't like taking risks. :cautious:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.