Most secure browser

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chaos16, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arup

Arup Guest

Not hard to do File>Print>doPDF

2. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

I too should admit that in the world of current WWW, Opera can be considered as one among a couple of safest/fastest browsers in existence...BUT...

...in my region (Asia/Pecific) and specially among North Asian, there's another one that's as good... as Fast & Safe and even better... FULLY Customizable (according to your preferences) browser (ie. can be made so light in footprint according to your prefered base-engine)! ;)

Check out "Sleipner" browser... :thumb: this low-keyed 'ninja' (the way i affectionally call it) web browser!

For those who can be considered advanced (technically adept) surfers, this browser maybe highly addictive :D

Here are some references~
    http://www.fenrir.co.jp/en/sleipnir/intro/security.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleipnir_(web_browser)

3. Arup

Arup Guest

Very nice, maybe this should be submitted to Secunia for evaluation. I see it uses Trident IE engine, in lieu of that, how different is it from Maxthon which also uses IE engine.

4. clambermatic

Mind you... there are lots of Asian-designed digitals that seldom got into Western press-hypes, due to the reason that most developers were more concern in penetrating the Asian Mandarin market (specially CN). Another factor was... N. Asian can be considered low-keyed, specially digital developers and i could attest to it.

"Sleipner" is one, and if you did some research how this browser came into being and why it came into the open... you probably would sympathize with its developer! But being 'petrified' by the idea of 'his' innovation being attributed to someone else and possibly having foresight of 'avoiding' near-future worldwide legal tussles, Yasuyuki-San made the best decision to 'start-from-scratch' and offer its 2nd version to the public since then.

;) Hence... "Sleipner" was born.

Off Topic again... "Ruby", this wonderfully powerfull and straightforward-text programming language. It is another excellent example of Asian 'low-key' approach. It has been 8yrs since i have heard and started testing it out. But only in the last 24mths did it break into the realm of Western Hemisphere's exotic programmings' horizon. Now most of you have heard or read about 'Ruby-On-Rail', see? :cool:

5. clambermatic

I have heard and read about Maxthon, but never tried it yet. But if based on same Trident engine, there should be no difference between a Sleipner and Maxthon, theoretically speaking.

Maxthon however incorporates build-in 'booster', same as FFox's famed FasterFox plugin and this helps in browser's speed. But speed can be obstructed by fluctuating bandwidth and somewhat adds to crashability too. Therefore plugin 'boosters' can be considered a tradeoff. Sleipner has 'booster' plugins too.

But when you based a Sleipner on a Gecko... that's a totally different story. That lizard's footprint is known to be lite. When looking into a broader horizon, factoring in a browser's integration with its intended OS platform in term of actual 'live' environment... a lighter footprint really helps.

On feedbacks i got from my peers in my region, specially among Japanese, Koreans and among us Chinese who have used Sleipner longer than i do. A majority of them came out with the verdict that Sleipner is way ahead of IE7 (never heard them mentioned Maxthon thou), simpler in maintenance than FFox (if plugins are manually updated) and much more stable too.

Vis-a-vis Opera in speed and safety... not much difference on the former and as good as the latter.

IMO and per my own usage... to me it's minimalistic. Coz all the frequently needed triggers are within your finger tips and when safety is main concern, then reconfigure it to run under Gecko.

Japanese' culture tend to adhere to minimalistic & compact views, historically. And anything they made... were always minimalist and compact on the outside BUT... hidden beneath that skin/outer-covering was a kaboodle of resourcefull innovations, integrated. That's how i look at Sleipner, see :blink:

6. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

it is suitable for me, very straightforwarded, edged, clear! Cool thing this Sleipnir, is it usual that it wants direct screen and keyboard access plus hook install? At least it seems so.

Good attitude!

7. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi

Another Sleipnir convert here also. Very fast browser on my laptop. Had one or two crashes though on specific sites.

I'm monitoring but at the moment I must say it's a nice find.

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I get the feeling that XSS is being constantly ignored. It's like it was never discussed. No, until someone shows me, Site Preferences in Opera is NOT NoScript, not as convenient, not as safe.
    Until then, what i used to think was the safest browser, isn't.

2 cents

9. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I'm in the same boat :) XSS shouldn't be ignored.

10. tisungho

tisungho Registered Member

I'm one of Opera's fans. I feel more secure with Opera. However, it seems that web developers do not usually test their products against Opera. Hence, many web sites is not correctly displayed in Opera.

11. Arup

Arup Guest

Opera for security reasons follow strict implementation of the HTML code whereas many programmers do a sloppy job, its usually those sites and some Java sites that occasionally give Opera problems.

12. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

What are some standards to use for measuring one browser's security against other browsers? And why those standards?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2007
  13. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Opera, more secure...faster. I feel safer with opera not with firefox.

14. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I've been using Sleipnir for years. It's as safe as anything if you know what you're doing and know how to utilize its customisable security functions (url action filter, custom bookmark security, etc) but it's still susceptible to unpatched IE vulnerabilities. It's missing a few basic features like History Search but I do prefer it over Maxthon and the other IE shells.

Opera is probably the best but I can't get over some of its annoying interface idiosyncrasies.

15. Arup

Arup Guest

The best part about Opera is its engine, its unique and therefore carves its own niche among its users.

16. SystemJunkie

oh not good, ie vulnerabilities

17. Arup

Arup Guest

Well it lets you switch engines from IE's to Gecko.

18. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Move over you guys and make room

19. tlu

tlu Guest

Exactly. On http://sla.ckers.org/forum/list.php?2 you can find hundreds or thousands of XSS vulnerabilities - Noscript is the only tool I'm aware of that protects against these threats. By the way: An excellent companion is the FF extension SecureLogin.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2007
  20. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

21. SystemJunkie

Ah okay maintenant j´ai la possibilité de rafraîchir mes connaissances francaises. Probablement il manque une version anglaises pour les autres ici. :D

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

No XSS protection in Opera expect if u turn off JS globally on all sites.

23. tisungho

tisungho Registered Member

I heard that the new version 9.5 is more open, isn't it? I haven't tested it yet.

24. Arup

Arup Guest

It isn't more open but they have tried their best to make it more compatible.

25. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

With 2 gig of ddr2 and a core 2 duo all browsers are fast here.

Running any of them through Sandboxie makes them equally, if not then near on 100% secure.:p

Article

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.