Most performance efficient Free AV and other anti-malware ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Ledsr40, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Re: Most performance efficient Free AV?

What's surprising is that the pirated copies work pretty well. I guess some vendors choose to turn a blind eye to it to varying extents for marketing purposes.

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

From my personal performance tests avast was the best although its not the lightest on resources. Second best was antivir.

3. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

I had runned SUPERantispyware (aka: SAS)... good merchandise & quite lite on resources. You may want to check this out too... Ledsr40?

4. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

Avira classic does have dialer and rootkit protection. However, the free version has limited anti-spyware capabilities.

5. Ledsr40

Ledsr40 Registered Member

The free one doesn't have real time protection.

That's too bad. I'm still trying to find a light free AS to go along with the Avira.

How are you supposed to get updates for pirated copies? And how do you know that those versions aren't fake ones that have been infiltrated with viruses so they compromise your PC without you knowing? It's like letting a robber be your security guard.

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Sometimes you do need to pay to get what you need. But that aside lets cut all discussion of pirated software right now. That just isn't permitted here.

Thanks

7. 031

031 Registered Member

8. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Spyware Terminator has an issue for some as it did for me, where one of its processes has very high memory spikes that cam be seen in Task Manager, and has been reported in their forum. Spyware Doctor Starter Edition while it does runs at around 30k of memory in Task Manager, did not slow my system down at all while using it with Avast and ThreatFire. Also while SDSE doesn't have all the features that the full version offers, it is suppose to have good detection rates. I think using Spyware Doctor Starter Edition and ThreatFire Free, with any of the Free Antiviruses would make a good security set up, including Spyware Doctors's own free AV. Of course a router firewall and Firefox wouldn't hurt either. LOL.

9. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

It does protect well against the heavy malware like trojans and rootkits.

When you are behind a router with FireWall, disable the windows firewall, use windows defender intrusion detection (deselect the IE options) and make sure it creates a restore point. Set Avira to only check at writes and perform a scan once a month.

Try SafeSpace Personal for dodgy browsing, turn it off when gaming. When using Spybot do not use the IP protection (a large host file can slow down browsing).

Regards Kees

10. Ledsr40

What difference does Threat Fire make? Isn't it the same as any old heuristics from AV products?

11. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

ThreatFire is a Behavior Blocker HIPS, and doesn't have Heuristics. However going by what many people here, other forums, and reviews have to say about ThreatFire, it is supposed to be one of the best add on security software's you can install for free. I have used it with three of the free Antivirus Programs, and now have it installed with Zone Alarm Anti-spyware and Avast Home AV. It runs well with those two programs and I believe compliments them nicely for additional security.

12. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi Ledsr40, avira antivir does not have spyware/adware protection. It does have dialer and rootkit protection. At least according to their site. http://www.free-av.com/

There isn't much choice in free AS. Wordward has a good idea. Threatfire or one of the other HIPS programs might be a something to consider. I have no idea how they would perform while online gaming.

If you go with avast free, I don't think I would use the Web shield for gaming. Only use the shields you need. Avast is highly configurable if you look hard enough in the options. As already mentioned, it does have some spyware protection.

13. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

I game all day with Avira guard, Comodo BOClean, and looknstop firewall, still trying out the 30 day free.

14. Ledsr40

Is the free version of Threatfire as good as the paid version in terms of effectiveness?

How much resources does ThreatFire use up?

Do you guys use the paid or free?

15. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

@Ledsr40: TF Pro - AV = TF Free

But Threatfire is not to consider if you have an older system. It´s a good add-on to your AV, but it has high values regarding I/O read & write. Avast with webshield enabled as well as AVG AS have both a low impact on performance regarding I/O total.

/C.

16. Ledsr40

AVGAS does not have guard, only on demand scan.

I'm now looking at comodo, isn't that thing free? Isn't it just a free AS?

Also, how much does Threatfire use? I should turn it off while gaming right?

17. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

AVG AS do have a resident guard, but not the free one.

What are your priority? Performance or that it should be free? There´s already a lot of suggestions in above posts about several programs, so I suggest you test different setups and run some benchmark tests instead. That´s the only effective way for you to decide which programs to use while gaming.

/C.

18. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

Hello everyone :) Sorry for bumping this thread but I need some more input from the community on this.

I am also trying to set up a pc for online gaming and would most likely go for the avira - avast combo with avast having p2p, IM (well maybe not this), Web and network modules on and avira configured as stated on the above post. I have a prolink hurricane 9200 modem/router provided by my ISP although I still don't know if I should enable both its firewall and NAT. And I am also thinking of installing ThreatFire with perhaps one notch lower than default settings and turning off avast's network module although not quite sure if TF is suited for gaming since someone posted about it having a high I/O. Should I just forget about installing TF and stick with the HIPS like network module of avast or forget the two altogether?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.