More Than Half of Android Devices Run Outdated Browsers

Discussion in 'mobile device security' started by ronjor, Nov 15, 2016.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Kelly Sheridan 11/15/2016

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I *think* the browser that is integral to LastPass is an outdated Chrome. I run Opera.

3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

4. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Lastpass integrates with whatever browser you use. You don't need to use their built in browser at all, as you can use the notification shade to autofill log-in info. It's the single best thing about Lastpass.

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

That doesn't seem to be the case on my Kindle Fire HD. Or else I'm too inept to make it do that.

6. entropism

In settings, go to browser, and in "launch to" check "default browser".
    Under "App fill", make sure "Fill logins in other apps" is checked. It will ask you to turn on the accessibility service for Lastpass in your phone settings. Once you do, you'll permanently have lastpass in your notification shade. Tap it to autofill logins in any app you want.

7. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Isn't this just part of the bigger problem that most Android devices run an outdated OS, because device manufacturers and carriers don't want to support them after release? I know this is getting better, but things still have a long way to go. Most of this stuff isn't user updatable.

8. entropism

Browsers are always updatable. Most phones are using Chrome or Firefox as their browser, with some using lesser known browsers in the Play store. Those are all updated as individual apps, not as a system update. All people have to do is let their apps update. If they refuse the update, there's not much you can do to solve their... stubbornness? Ignorance? Whatever you want to call it, they're literally being told a free update is available.

9. Robin A.

In my experience, apps are update automatically. It´s not possible to refuse the updates. There is only a notification about the update.

10. entropism

You can choose to not autoupdate in the Play Store settings. You can also choose not to autoupdate individual apps. You have to go out of your way to make the dumb choice :)

11. Robin A.

Maybe. But not in my phone. I just can select to update at any moment or only via wi-fi.

12. entropism

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.