More distro tests on Lenovo G50

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Here's a somewhat important review of usability and hardware compatibility of openSUSE, various Red Hat, Ubuntu-based and other distributions on a Lenovo G50-70 laptop, with focus on UEFI, Secure Boot and GPT, multi-boot with Windows 10, networking, peripheral device detection, performance, stability, resource usage, battery life, and more. Take a look.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/lenovo-g50-distros-second-round.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Thank you for this.

I wonder why the Red Hat familiy wouldn't boot. Weren't they the first ones to implement UEFI and Secureboot support?

Reading the article, I noticed the Arch family wouldn't boot as well, even with UEFI disabled. You said "on this machine", so maybe the Red Hat and Arch families have a problem with just that particular model of notebook you used?

3. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Interesting. Fedora 23 booted in my Lenovo W520 which has UEFI. I have the BIOS set to legacy and UEFI boot with legacy preferred. It wouldn't install in a Virtualbox VM and required a 700mb update to be able to be installed. I ended up installing it on a spare disk in the W520, doing the update and then made a VHD from the partition which worked fine in virtualbox.

As always, good reading. I've been taking a break from desktop distros and have been getting into Linux inside the "Internet of Things". First came my routers which required some telneting inside the boxes to get an iptables script sorted out and working right though two daisy chained routers and now it is a satellite receiver which requires some tweaking.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

The reason is - BIOS/UEFI firmware, but then I will elaborate on that in a separate article.
    Mrk

5. accessgranted

accessgranted Registered Member

I managed to install Fedora on the same Lenovo laptop, but not CentOS nor Stella. Slacko Puppy 6.3.0 also failed to install. Managed to install Antergos, but not Manjaro. Still have to try a pure Arch install. Ubuntu family distros work well on it too.

Next time I'll buy a Toshiba. All distros install perfectly on it in my experience. I bought the Lenovo G50-70 to test Linux distros, but in reality it's the laptop that gets tested through the various distros, and IMHO it does not shine.

6. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

I've always considered Lenovo's quite linux friendly but maybe I was wrong. On my B50-70 (brother of G50) no issues with Ubuntu and Xubuntu 15.04 but actually it came freedos, so without UEFI.
    On a M30-70 (same hardware as B50-70 but 13" display) no issues with Xubuntu 15.10 booting with UEFI.
    Sooner or later I will try to install Fedora23 on both..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.