More AntiVir Updates!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by QBgreen, Dec 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

A better analogy would be: if the turn lights are broken it´s OK because you still can turn

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

or a better one would be, "if something is broke, fix it" something which antivir fail to do time and time again.

3. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

They've certainly been busy 'fixing' their scanning engine; at the moment it's arguably the best in the industry, taking into account scanning speed, detection and powerful heuristics coupled with low false positives. Hopefully they'll fix these recent problems as soon as they say they will, for a freebie it's an excellent piece of software.

Londonbeat

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ill agree with that for sure,about their engine (Although,scan speeds were not as good on my machine as av-comp said, panda was by miles a faster scan speed)

5. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Per the troubles as of late, What AV hasn't had issues? Not trying to sound like a fanboy, but any company that can achieve what Avira has achieved with AntiVir in 2006 will be "on it". The competition as we all know is several layers above fierce!

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well lets see nod32 sometimes has update issues
    antivir has update issues sometimes as pointed out in this thread.
    kaspersky had a few update issues corrupting the bases.
    so it can happern to any vendor!
    lodore

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

True, Lodore, but Avira does not seem to be able to fix it. The problems some of us have mentioned have gone on for weeks and months. That is not the case with other AVs in my experience.

Just look on the Avira forums, and see that tray icon, guard not starting, and updates are ongoing problems. Despite any statement that they are fixed, the posts do not bear that out.

Both you and I liked Avira. It is light, effective, and the price is right. But there is a limit to how much I am willing to fool with trying to correct problems on an AV when there are so many that don't give me trouble. One is F-Secure.:D I wonder why I mentioned that particular oneo_Oo_O :D :D

Best,
    Jerry

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@jerry,
    i do agree that they should of fixed those problems.
    i havent had any problems with kaspersky eiether.
    well the proactive defense malfunctioned today but I rebooted and went back to normal.
    but other than that problem kaspersky has been working great.
    I liked the 2005 version of f-secure but the 2006 version was to heavy.
    the 2007 version was lighter but still slow and I hated the HIPS module.
    but i worked out the other day on my nextdoor neighbours first laptop which is a core duo 2.0ghz and it had the bloated macaffe 2005 version and once i removed all the Google software it was fine and fast.
    so i think i didnt notice that f-secure was bloated intill my pc got older.
    at first my pc was mega fast because it was new now its 2 years old.
    what is the spec of my laptop?
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.