Monitors?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by WilliamP, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have a 19 in. monitor that is a 5:4 ratio. I wanted to get a larger monitor,so I bought a 23 In. and brought it home. Of course I knew that the new one has a 16:9 ratio. I now have a wide screen but the image is actually smaller. I took it back. My wife plays Farmville on Facebook. With the new monitor the image of the farm was much smaller than on the old monitor. What is the idea behind these wiiide screen monitors? How can I get a larger image.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

WilliamP, see Display Resolution. The differences are:

19" Monitor @ 5.4 ratio is approximately 1280 x 1024.
    23" Monitor @ 16.9 ratio is approximately 1600 x 900 ( if HD - 1920 x 1080).

To obtain a larger image, you need to reduce the display resolution. XP Instructions - Vista/7 Instructions.

3. WilliamP

I understand. But why buy an HD monitor ,then lower the resolution to increase image size? That would degrade the quality of the image. Why can't they make monitors with the 5:4 ratio?

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

WilliamP, of course you are correct that lowering the resolution would degrade the image quality, however, the reason why they don't make 5:4 aspect ratio monitors anymore, is because of HD/Blue Ray wide-screen movies and games that require higher resolutions.

5. WilliamP

I understand all that . But you don't have to lower the resolution to view the movies. How do you get larger images at the HD resolution?

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

WilliamP, have you tried maximizing the browser? How about using a browser's Zoom feature?

7. WilliamP

Thank you . I have come to the conclusion that 19in is the best size. Above that you get a bigger screen and smaller images.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.