Monitoring or recovering internet use data

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by innerpeace, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi. I'm looking for an easy was to investigate what sites people are going to with some sort of time to link the both. One of my relatives work place just recovered from a nasty malware so they don't want the employees using the online computer. The employees are now deleting their internet history so they won't be caught.

From what I've seen of the computer, it had at least an outdated java version and I uninstalled a 700MB game as well as a game toolbar. I'm mainly trying to help as important client data may be on the machine that has internet access. I'm not a professional, so I'm doing this to educate and learn. I've already suggested AE as a partial solution to unauthorized installs.

They need the computer to have internet access for guests (usually for email), but employees are supposed to be forbidden from the internet for now. I need proof of the sites and times the internet is used. I've also already suggested getting another internet only machine to mitigate the problem. If I need some sort of keylogger, then I guess I'm open. All ideas are welcome.

2. ZeroBits

ZeroBits Registered Member

I am also interested in this subject and surprised no one else has replied. I have seen a few apps in regard to your question but never tested them. Hopefully members with some expertise in this area can chime in.

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

innerpeace is dealing with a specific workplace problem and unless one is running a company, Wilders members might have not encountered this issue thus no replies. Two well known data monitoring programs are SpectorSoft and Track4Win, besides other Computer Monitoring Software yet they all raise employee privacy issues, especially in the U.S., that should be run by a lawyer before implementation. That's my advice to innerpeace.

4. innerpeace

In all honesty, I didn't figure I would see a reply considering the nature of the thread and the fact that it deals with business machines and not home use.

I despise keyloggers, but I know of no other way to "wake up" the owners to the truth. I also know how it is to work with employees that have no regard for company equipment. Their not only jeopardizing the businesses ability to function, but risking client data which may included credit card information.

Thanks for the program suggestions JRViejo. I have also seen a couple free keyloggers and one was even open source. I won't touch any with a ten foot pole unless I know it's legit (I trust your suggestions). I'll keep your legal advice in mind too and I won't touch the machine with a monitoring app without the owners consent and have them discuss it with their lawyer. Fortunately their lawyer is more accessible than their freelance IT guy.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

innerpeace, you're welcome! Talking to their lawyer first, is the prudent thing for the owners to do and unless you are covered by a written "no liability under any circumstance" agreement (meaning: the owners are solely responsible for their decision, holding you harmless, protecting and defending you against any claim, suit or legal action), don't get involved with the software installation. Leave it to the IT guy!

6. innerpeace

Thanks again JRViejo,

I'll stay out of it and just make suggestions. It seems to me that the employees need to sign some sort of internet usage agreement. The owner also need to buy a cheap machine for internet only activities that is locked down with Steady State, Returnil or some other ISR. I'd say for around $150 all their problems would be solved.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

You're partly correct there. More than likely, the lawyer might advise the owners that any "monitoring" should be disclosed and included in an Employee Handbook, therefore setting rules and regulations, hence becoming "the" agreement between employer and employee. There could be a suggested grace period as to give plenty of warning and notice before the monitoring is implemented. And any cause for dismissal needs to be spelled out completely. That's why a lawyer is needed. A company owner today must dot their I's and cross their T's, otherwise they'll end up in court!

8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Many routers, especially linksys, are capable of exporting logs via snmp. The trap needs a remote host to actually keep the data as most router logs will be limited, unless you are with a corporate router.

WallWatcher works very well if you can find it anymore. I have it at work, and can tell who went where at what time. As well as see what ports incoming are being scanned. I use it to tell my ISP when certain IP's they have in thier net block are repeatedly hitting my IP with great numbers. It has helped them to pull the plug on a few IP's that are obviously bots. They support them in cleaning it up before they are back on. I am just the scout, giving them a heads up that they might want to keep close tabs on things.

Give it a try. There are a few other free router logs apps out there. Don't remember any names, it has been a few years now.

Sul.

9. innerpeace

Thanks again JRViejo. The company and town are small where I live. The owners and manager would do well to take your advice, but I think it will take a lawsuit for them to change. They are certainly not going to listen to me.

Hi Sullyand thanks. The router logs are a good idea but I'm going to let the owners deal with it. I'm mostly clueless with any type of firewalls and I have no idea what kinds of setup they have. I think it comes as part of the franchise and is setup by folks that don't live nearby. I ain't touchin' it hehe. I did well to get my first wireless router up and running with my modem and Vonage this past week. Thank goodness for forums and Verizon tech support.

10. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I believe the premium version of Sandboxie can force sandboxed use of a program. So you could force all users to run IE (or any other browser I suppose) in a protected mode.

That doesn't provide tracking information, but it does reduce or eliminate risk of malware being installed. And you avoid all the potential legal entanglements that JRViejo so correctly pointed out.

11. innerpeace

Hi LenC. Your correct! Sandboxie paid does have a forced program feature which would force IE to run sandboxed. It would be a good solution to at least protect the machine from the surfers.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.