Monitor problem - What's this about?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zapjb, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

A friend gave me a used KDS Xtreme FLAT 17"CRT about 10 months ago. I was grateful to get it & surprised how well it looked. Anyways just yesterday I noticed like 2 or 3 very very fines grey horizontal lines across the middle of the screen. I pressed the degauss button no improvement. Then to get a better look at them I took a dusting cloth to my screen. The lines disappeared! Then today after my monitor was on a couple hours the lines were back. So heck I thought just use the dusting cloth again. It worked again, the lines are gone. What's going on here with my monitor? Thanks.

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I believe what you are looking at is normal. The tube itself may be a Sony Trinitron. Sony Trinitron monitors will have 2 very fine grey lines horizontally accross the screen.

Sony is the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) for a lot of companies. If the monitor specifications say that it is a Trinitron, then it was made by Sony. Apple and IBM used Sony for years as their OEM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinitron

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have that exact same monitor KDS Xtreme FLAT 17"CRT which is about two years old and has never had any grey lines or any color lines across it at all. No Idea what it could be.

4. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

The grey lines that I mentioned are VERY faint. I cannot see them on my Sony monitor at home, but I have seen them before on other monitors. I believe that they are two very fine wires applied to the back of the tube to help improve the image. I read this sometime ago in a magazine.

5. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I have a Sony Trinitron monitor and i can confirm there are 2 faint grey lines centred about 5 to 6 inches apart.

snowbound

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Yup, everybodies correct. The earliest explanation I got tonight is from another somewhere else.

"They never disappeared.
    You have an Aperture Grill Monitor and nothing is wrong with it. The 2 fine horizontal lines are wires held under tension to hold the grill to the inside of the screen. You can best see them on a white background. Open Wordpad fullscreen and see."

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question406.htm

7. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

and my theory on why they disappear after a wipe with a cloth, 'static electricity' may cause a slight fluctuation on screen with the pixels/colour causing a colour 'shift' which appears to 'eliminate' the lines, but after a while, it settles back down and they reappear. [sounds good anyway :p ]

Your trouble, maybe you have too good an eyesight, :ouch: :ouch:

TAS

edit:, lol you posted while I was typing. anyhow, glad to see you worked it out. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.