Monitor Noise

Discussion in 'hardware' started by xMarkx, Aug 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axial

axial Registered Member

Mark, I'm sorry I don't have time to read through your postings again right now, but in case this helps -- did you say you have the monitor plugged into a surge protector or any kind of a UPS at all? If you do, have you tried running it without one to see if there's any difference?

Some (most) monitors are sensitive to surge protectors and a humming noise could easily be the result.

TechOutsider, my apologies for stomping all over your post, I must have not refreshed my view of the thread before I proceeded to insert my foot into my mouth. mea culpa

2. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

Yes, I plugged the monitor into a socket in another room without a surge protector and the noises were still present. I even tried it with the new cable. The new monitor still makes the noises but they aren't as bad I guess... although the new monitor seems more blueish in color to me for some reason.

Any particular reason why a monitor would seem a little more blue in color?

Regards,

Mark.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  3. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

It could be bad, or just mis-adjusted - perhaps the blue intensity is too high, or the red and green are too low.

4. axial

axial Registered Member

5. westom

westom Registered Member

When we built power supplies, we even made our own transformers and coils. Those internal wires can vibrate. Techniques to solve that routine problem included putting the inductor inside a vacuum, then filling covering the coil with varnish. Varnish would get sucked into the coil/transformer. Wires no longer vibrate. However, sometimes some wires did not get 'glued'.

Unusual to have the same problem on two different units. Implies a manufacturing problem.

That is the typical reason for 'buzzing' inside a supply. And as the load changes, so will the buzzing. Typically unacceptable. In minor cases, might even cause two adjacent wires to break through the insulation and short. Not desirable from any new product. And a problem often understood only by those who did this stuff.

Nothing on the AC line cord (ie surge protectors) will affect that operation. In fact, a surge protector is completely inert - acts like it is not there - when normal voltages exist. But that also is not understood by an overwhelming majority.

View the voltage numbers from that monitor. Does it say 90 to 260 volts? Many monitors can operate on voltages that extreme. Notice how wide any normal voltage is even it the monitor is only for North American power. But first read the label - see it for yourself. Moving to another receptacle or using a surge protector are both uninformative tests.

6. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Don't waste your time with the surge protectors this monitor you got as a replacement is crap. Panel is no good, why are you going to fight with it call them have them give you new replacement you have to demand it. They (DELL) might say no, but if you push it they would send you a newer or current model instead.

Good luck!

7. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

Sorry I did not see your post...

My monitor buzzes when I turn it off and when it goes into standby as well. You have to unplug it. There is still a little power going through it and the transformer has to reduce it dramatically because the monitor has no use for it all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.