Mom's friend fell victim to identify theft and fraud

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by SpongeGuard, Jan 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpongeGuard

SpongeGuard Registered Member

Apparently he went to a couple of sites called "livetechonline" or "fixtech" or "superiortech" (he cannot recall the name, so perhaps he should get on that before I continue..)

Either way, apparently he was looking for some kind of online repair service (Comodo Geekbuddy comes to mind), and stumbled across the above website.
    They asked for some $200, which I am told was purchased using a prepaid credit card. After receiving no service, apparently he phoned the support line of the 'company,' and was told that he would be reimbursed.

He then phoned back after receiving no refund, and was told that the person who reimbursed him no longer works there and should've never told him that (face is buried deep in palms entire time I am being told this)

Anyway, his computer is completely under the control of whoever is running said website. Screensavers, adware, ransomware, malware running wild.

I'm curious what the best action for him to take is? I told him to call the RCMP to let them know about identity theft, to change the information to all of his accounts from a computer he KNOWS is secure, and to have new credit card / bank card / id (anything he typed in) issued.

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

After backing up and changing valuable data (preferably the content, not the [infected] file), I would reformat, or even zero it out first (unless there's a disk image). Then re-install Windows with proper security measures.

3. SpongeGuard

SpongeGuard Registered Member

dban here we come!

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Unplug it from the Internet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.