Modified before Created?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by AKAJohnDoe, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

How is this possible? And the size!

Attached Files:

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Perhaps it was copied out of dllcache on April 28th and perhaps it's compressed?

Like this one - except size difference is a different reason:
    test.JPG

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Another reason may be the system clock was not set properly when the document was created which may account for the illusion. Either that or it was magic!

-- Tom :)

4. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy15.htm
    To illustrate: here is a file (compressed) in ../dllcache.

adm1.gif

I copy the file to another location and the created date changes but the modified date stays the same.

adm2.gif

I don't think that the information provided in that article is completely correct. In my dllcache directory, most of the files have 1999 as both created and modified, meaning, I think, that 1999 was the date that the installer was set up with all of the directories/files. So, the file was created in the installer directory on that date. Here is an example:

atm-creationdate.GIF

The 2003.12.06 created date in the first screenshot was when I installed Win2K. I think SP4 updated some of these dlls, hence, the later created date.

The created date of my dllcache directory is 2003.12.06.

So, I have two created dates for files in that directory, both technically correct, yet a bit misleading.

----
    rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.