Modems, wArEz, and ANSI art: Remembering BBS life at 2400bps

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ronjor, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Clearly, the author is just a pup!

2400 "baud" (bps) was a speed demon. I was happy when I could afford to upgrade to 1200 baud!

I started out with a "Commodore 1650" modem for my old Commodore 64. It ran at a blazingly fast 300 baud (compared to the 110 baud "VIC Modem" created for the VIC 20).

3. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

To read good information and stories about classic computing, modems, and gaming.. One needs to sign up and read the vintage computing forums.

4. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I ran dialup for a long, long time, fortunately at better speeds than those. Normal was around 28K. Once in a while I could get 45K. Assuming that you didn't lose the connection and it wasn't interrupted by a phone call, the ISP had a one hour time limit on the connection. I remember waiting until the middle of the night to get connections with better speeds and fewer interruptions just to have a better chance of getting a file in before the connection expired. Download managers were lifesavers. I remember downloading Knoppix with a download manager on dialup. Every evening I'd resume the download and pause it the next morning. It took a full week.

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I had a 56k modem, but due to a bad phone line, I only got half that speed. My modem was smart enough not to drop out when a phone call came in. But I was disconnected from my ISP after 4 hours, so 6 times a day my modem would redial my IPS's number to reconnect.

At one stage I switched to an ISP which how no limits on connection time, but the connection speed was so exceptionally slow that I had to switch back to another ISP to a usable internet connection.

6. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Mmm.. real wAReZ started in the early Apple II days when 300 baud was very good. And 1200 baud was ultra-elite. This 2400 & 9600 crap depicted in the article is about 12 years too late.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.