Mobile Security & Antivirus

Discussion in 'polls' started by LoneWolf, Dec 22, 2012.

?

Do you use one on your Android/Smart Phone and if yes, which one?

1. Avast

15.9%
  2. AVG

1.2%
  3. BitDefender

5.9%
  4. BullGuard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. DrWeb

6.5%
  6. ESET

5.9%
  7. F-Secure

0.6%
  8. G-Data

0.6%
  9. Ikarus

1.8%
  10. Kaspersky

3.5%
  11. Lookout

2.9%
  12. McAfee

0.6%
  13. Norton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Quick Heal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Sophos

0.6%
  16. Trend Micro

0.6%
  17. TrustGo

1.8%
  18. TrustPort

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Vipre

0.6%
  20. Webroot

5.3%
  21. Zoner

1.2%
  22. Other (Please Specify)

6.5%
  23. None

38.2%
  1. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I used to own a basic black & white feature phone until 2012. :D
    Nokia 1200
    Then i got the change to get a smartphone and the rest is history.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  2. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Has the new Avast improved upon GPS location? Last time I used it months ago, it was not very accurate. :doubt:

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Most of the times the GPS accuracy depends on the cellphone hardware and not the software.
    It depends on the cellphone and how many GPS Satellites it can hook up with. (Which depends on your location)

An example is the first Galaxy S they were known to have some SERIOUS GPS accuracy issues. I can confirm that they indeed had some really serious issues. (A relative owns one)

4. Trooper

All true to an extent. However with two other AV's on Android that I've used, I got a GPS lock via their website very quickly (and it was accurate).

Avast on the other hand, not so much. :doubt:

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahahaha bad luck then. I have used Avast! to locate phones just for fun. (All of them were GS3's with the latest stock Samsung JB 4.2.1) and they were extremely accurate and fast. :rolleyes:

With my previous phone i was unable to get a GPS lock inside some buildings now it can.

6. Trooper

Nah. The reason being is because avast! (or at least it used to behave this way, not sure about now), would not turn on GPS on the device if it was turned off. I can name at least two other vendors where if GPS was set to off, it would be turned on when a locate command is sent to a device.

That said, if avast! has included this in recent updates, I would be willing to check it out again. Let me know your findings.

Thanks.

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Theres an option that says "Automatically Enable GPS". Ill take a picture later and upload it.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  8. Trooper

Thanks. If you don't mind, could you test locate your phone with GPS off and see if it actually flips it on? If so, this is a much welcomed (and suggested) improvement that I made to avast! some months ago. ;)

9. Trooper

Decided to try it out and locate is still slow. I've switched to another vendor.

Cheers.

10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

But did it work? :D
    What phone do you have?

11. Trooper

Yes sir it worked. Just took to long and again, was not as accurate as some others.

I have a Nexus 4 and a Droid Razr Maxx HD.

What phone are you rocking?

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

GSIII :D
    Personally i would only buy a Samsung flagship or Nexus device.
    Nexus because you get all the latest software goodies and Samsung because you get all Sammies software goodies + tons of developers working on custom roms.

13. Trooper

Nice. The Nexus 4 is awesome, as is the Droid Razr Maxx HD. I am a big Motorola fan. Their build quality is superb.

Samsung does make nice devices however I just do not personally care for their plastic form factors, or Touchwiz for that matter.

14. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I am considering buying an Tablet (Android OS). I want to know how to increase the Security of the Tablet to a reasonably high level. I like the looks of Avast Mobile Security, its features, its user feedback reviews and the statement of it having a Firewall.

Questions:

1. Avast states that the Firewall feature is "For rooted phones only". I guess that this means that the Firewall feature is disabled unless the phone/tablet is rooted. Is that correct?

2. Which VPN do you recommend for Android? Also, which VPN's support the Android OS?

3. Which Make/Models of Tablets (Preferably <$500 US Dollars) would you recommend?

4. Which Makes/Models of Tablets can easily/reliably be "Rooted"? I want the Avast Firewall feature enabled.

5. What other addition/modifications would you recommend in order to increase the Security of an Android Tablet/Phone?

Thanks in Advance.

15. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Have a look at Top Notch Tablets you can get tablets for much less than $500. They only stock Chinese brands, but they only sell high quality tablets.

All Android tablets can be rooted. If you do a Google search you should find details on rooting just about any tablet.

All I use for security on my Android devices is an antivirus app.

16. x942

x942 Guest

Yes. In order to use IPTables (linux firewall) you need root on Android. Some tablets (samsung in particular) come with their own firewall build in so no need for root.

I have used ProXPN but Really any PTPP VPN is supported out of the box. OpenVPN is support via free app. OpenVPN is more secure.

Nexus 7 if you want 7inch. Nexus 10 if you want 10 inch. Both are cheap for tablets, high end, and easily rooted (google basically lets you do it).

See previous answer :)

For real privacy root, custom ROM and remove Google Apps. (www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCpLpccqQZc‎)

I run with google apps anyways on my daily driver. But I am willing to make that sacrafice. You may or may not be willing to. I also have a phone without Gapps for when I need more privacy/security.

See:https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=310143

for a post I made on this subject.

also Shamless plug: SecDroid (my opensource app) and Guardian Rom (Nexus 7).

I use Avast myself. Not for AV but antitheft. With root it makes it very difficult to remove (unless the theif knows what they are doing of course).

17. TheKid7

Thank you for the information.

18. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Well, not quite true. Not ALL.
    For example, wonderful tablets from Toshiba (10"Thrive, 7"Thrive, several Excite models): Rooting was possible under Android 3 (HC). But once Android 4 (ICS) got installed those tablets cannot be rooted. Toshiba is not releasing the kernel, which they should under GPL, and has the bootloader totally locked. So, no, no rooting possible.

19. TheKid7

Now I am considering buying a combination Tablet/Cell Phone. Does anyone know if ASUS's Android cell phone products contain a Firewall? The one that I am thinking about buying is this one.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/12/review_asus_fonepad_tablet_phone/

The only big thing that concerns me about this Cell Phone is that it is an International Cell Phone which may cut the Network Speed with T-Mobile in the USA to 2G (EDGE Networks). However I like the screen size (7").

20. TheKid7

I have come up with a more realistic plan. I forgot all about SmartPhone Tethering. I have never done SmartPhone tethering. My current T-Mobile Phone Plan allows either unlimited tethering with no charge for tethering (500 MB Data at 4G, after that the Data is throttle to about 2G). If I pay $10/month more, I get 2.5 GB of Data at 4G (with free tethering) which should be more than enough for me.

I most likely will buy the Samsung Tab 2 Wi-Fi (7" Display).
    x942,

How would I be able to look in the Apps and/or settings to see that there is a Firewall and that it is turned on?

Thanks in Advance.

21. x942

x942 Guest

On the samsung tab it is in settings => Firewall. Front and centre which is nice.

the padFone supports only one T-Mo 3G Frequency (2100 Mhz) so you will get 3G but service won't be as good compared to a phone that has booth 1700 and 2100 Mhz.

22. TheKid7

Thank you.

I have changed my mind about buying an ASUS FonPad. I plan to select and order a Samsung Tablet and tether it with my "budget" Samung Galaxy Exhibit 2 4G phone (WiFi HotSpot). I have never used tethering before, but it should work.

How much of a battery drain is tethering on a SmartPhone?

Thanks in Advance.

23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

So you are a T-Mobile user. :D

24. TheKid7

I don't like phone contracts.

I don't use a cell phone much at all. I only got the plan because my new job duties require a cell phone.

25. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It uses a lot of battery, and if you use it a lot it causes a lot of wear on the battery - meaning that the battery won't hold charge as well as it did.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.