mks_vir BECOMES ArcaVir

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Access Denied, Nov 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. synapse

synapse Registered Member

theres a problem (maybe a memory leak) when arca scans .cab files for unreal tournament engine, it would freeze up everytime i tried it.

2. stormbyte

stormbyte AV Expert

Can you send me one of those cabs to support@stormbyte.com so we can investigate and fix this problem?

ps. please report ALL problems to either: support@stormbyte.com or by posting on our forum
    http://stormbyte.com/forums/ under Report bugs category.
    Thanks!

Mariusz

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  3. synapse

i deleted the folder after the tests' :( the .cab files are all gone

4. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

I'll load my old Splinter Cell, Pandora Tommorrow and see if that happens here. ;)

5. synapse

i dont think thats ran off the UT Engine

6. Access Denied

I didn't mean to imply that I thought it did, lol. I was just testing to see if any game would cause a conflict. :D Went thru Pandora Tommorrow till I got kill't and my memory usage is less than it is after a full scan. :) I love this ArcaVir 2005.

7. dirtcheap

dirtcheap Registered Member

mks_vir still mks-vir not a arcavir. I have a full version of mks_vir 2005 on my hand now

8. Access Denied

I have that too. I am not sure what is going on here. o_O

9. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

I'm very disappointed it's still using the same piece of crap updater.

Said it with 2004 and I'll say it again... look at your competitors. An updater shouldn't be a point of differentiation if your competitors all handle things in a similar manner, it's a point of irritation for the end-user. You should emulate best practices in this case.

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Hmmm. I was thinking of trying it again, but not if the updater is still crap. That was my problem when I tried it before. It sounds like a wonderful improvement and I really liked the original mks except that I could not update. Why fix other stuff and neglect the updater? I have seen this problem with other good avs which I also avoid. I'm having no problem with Bit Defender though. It updates flawlessly.

11. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I'm very disappointed it's still using the same piece of crap updater.

What is your issue with the updater? With ArcaVir 2005, I schedule 2 updates daily and with 2005 release, it even updates while I am logged off, 2004 did not update until I logged back on and it did that automatically. Or if I want to manually check updates, I just right click the icon and click, update istallation and it does it for me.

12. SDS

SDS Registered Member

Updaters should be built in, and not a part of task manager. Task manager is quite buggy, but also requires a password, I don't password my systems.

But thats the least of MKS's problems from looking it over. Its poor interface with bad graphics and false positives are a major issue. Still, it looks interesting, I might buy it when I see if they improve it.

13. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Updaters should be built in, and not a part of task manager. Task manager is quite buggy, but also requires a password, I don't password my systems.

I see what you mean, I still cannot run a scheduled system scan without being logged on, so I use eXtendia AVK (single) to run during the morning a couple times a week.

As far as the interface it could be much better but it runs so light, provides very good RT protection and is easy to configure so I am satisfied with it. I never really open it anyway, I just run everything from the quicklaunch icon.

Regards

14. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I agree the updater should be alot more lean, another thing i loathe is that when I right click on the ArcaVir Icon I have a screen full of options, IMO they need one centralized command console.
    But it does run light, even scanning memory usage is negligible. As I am running Ewido and scanning with AcraVir and browsing the internet.
    http://www.zer0-tec.net/Likuidkewl/AVStuff/ArcaVir05Mem.png

15. SDS

SDS Registered Member

Thats not an accurate picture, in task manager you need to go to View:Columns, and then turn on Virtual Memory. Combine Memory + Virtual Memory, and thats true usage.

16. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Combine Memory + Virtual Memory, and thats true usage.

Thanks for pointing that out, I checked and total usage was 14,936.

17. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

Re: mks_vir 2005 English?

For ppl that wrote that have mks_vir 2005:
    English version?
    In the site I found a link to download, but the link are the same to English and Polish "homepage" of mks-vir. I believed that it's in Polish and din't download.
    Have English version of mks_vir 2005 or mks_vir 2005 English = Arcavir?

Thanks
    TZT

18. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I believe that MKS 2005 will install in english and that it may change later to only Polish. At install it gives the option of English or Polish.

19. dirtcheap

dirtcheap Registered Member

Re: mks_vir 2005 English?

I Have mks_vir 2005 around 18mb and it is multi language during install you choose polish or english if you want

20. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

Hi,
    Any chance someone could post a screenshot of an alert sent by the Registry Monitor component?
    -hojtsy-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.