MJ and/or Winpatrol?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Iangh, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Do I need MJ and/or Winpatrol?

Anyone tried Winpatrol RID? Worth buying?

Thanks
    Ian

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I use it and works very well ;)

Take a look at this site: http://www.winpatrol.com/rid.html

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Is better if you have to have on your system more resources usage and redundant protection... :p

5. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

For some reason I cannot now run MSAS on two-user XP pc. Used to be able to but now get an error when I try to run it on the wife's account.

I understand the resident protection is not that good like all resident spyware apps. I use free ewido and spyware doctor to catch infections. Backed up by spybot and ad-aware when I have time.

Use Firefox so rarely see anything. When I did have MSAS working it never spotted anything.

Like Winpatrol because it's low on resource and easy to use. Sits nicely alongside free Avast and free Look'n'stop. Use free Escan and Bitdefender as on-demand scanners.

Is it worth buying Winpatrol plus? Or am I getting paranoic from reading the posts on this site? I'm a normal web-user so don't go near naughty sites. Love Wilders, learnt so much. Probably too much for my own good!

Buy or not Buy WP Plus with RID?

Cheers
    Ian

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I won a license, but if you can, you should buy it because is a lifetime license and add more protection to your system...
    You only need to pay one time ;)

7. muf

muf Registered Member

In response to your question about the R.I.D. I have Winpatrol Plus but don't run the R.I.D. I purchased the licence mainly to provide my support to the author because of the great work he does. I am sure he does not have a money tree in his garden ;)

I don't run R.I.D because it causes some slowdown on my pc. My system is a 1ghz Athlon with 512mb Sd ram & WinME. Pretty poor by today's standards. :'( I use Winpatrol as the default 'free version' setup. If you have a modern system running WinXP with a 2ghz+ processor then i would heartily recomend you purchase the Plus version and enable the R.I.D. I get a new pc(hurrah!) on 25th October 3ghz & WinXP, and i can assure you i will be installing Winpatrol and enabling the R.I.D.

muf

8. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I currently have A squared along with DrWEB. Would Winpatrol with RID be overlap in protection for me or would it compliment my setup?...:cool: o_O

9. muf

muf Registered Member

In my opinion, it would compliment your current setup. Drweb is mainly virus protection with quite good trojan protection. A2 is mainly trojan protection with some good spyware protection. If it's the A2 Personal you are running then you also have the IDS feature which is very good. Winpatrol will provide you with very good protection heuristally from spyware type intrusion's. It will also advise of many things adding themselves to your system. i.e startup's, BHO's and toolbars. I do think it will be beneficial.

muf

10. In china we have a saying, black cat, white cat, fat cat, any cat that can catch the mouse is a good cat.

I wonder when people ask about "overlap" are they talking about overlap in terms of exact functions (say x or y both poll the registry) or in terms of end result (both do different things but aim to catch trojans).

I suppose the former right?

11. toploader

toploader Registered Member

yes it usually refers to the former - we have a saying here - too many cooks spoil the broth :)

12. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback. I think I just may upgrade my Winpatrol free. Would these two combined with DrWEBs new spyware database kinda eliminate the need for a dedicated spyware program since I use Firefox to avoid Leaky IE6...?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.