missing .tib file(s)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bird0722, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bird0722

bird0722 Registered Member

Where is the .tib file located?

I installed the trial version of TIH on Vista two days ago, created a full backup, then scheduled an incremental backup that ran at 3:00 a.m. today. Now I'd like to test the Restore functionality.

When I execute the Restore Data Wizard, I'm unable to find any *.tib files. I've performed a search on my C: drive and on the T: drive, which is an Iomega external hard drive on which the backup was created. There are 12 files on the T: drive, with names like m4300_backup1 through m4300_backup12, and a file called MediaID.bin, but no .tib file.

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

bird0722:

It sounds like the .tib extension did not get added to your backup files. For each of the files "m4300_backup1" through "m4300_backup12", manually edit the file name and add the extension ".tib" to the end of each.

It also sounds like your external drive is formatted as FAT32, which has a file size limit of 4 GB. So TI split the backup into multiple files. If in the future you would like to have only one file per backup, reformat your external hard disk as NTFS (after removing any data that you want to save).

If you are going to do a test restore, which is a sensible thing to do while evaluating any backup software, it is highly advisable to disconnect your main hard disk and restore to a spare hard disk. After demonstrating that restoring works successfully, then you can then do restores to your main hard disk.

3. bird0722

bird0722 Registered Member

Adding the .tib extension was just the ticket. Thanks. Now I suppose the followup question would be WHY didn't it add the .tib extension? And as it adds additional extension files (oh, BTW, it's NTFS, but I specified a multi-file archive), will I have to add the .tib extension manually to thoose extension files?

If you know the answer(s), that's great. If not, it's no big deal, because the workaround you gave me was spot on.

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

When you create a backup, the file name "MyBackup.tib" is proposed. If you edit the file name, just be sure to change only the name, leaving the extension in place.

I know that there is a file type drop-down that specifies .tib, but it doesn't do what you think it should - you have to specify the extension as part of the file name. If you are making incremental backups based on a correctly-specified file then the extensions should take care of themselves automatically.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bird0722,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Actually, in case "Files of type" field has "Backup archives (*.tib)" as a value, the extension will be added automatically even if you remove it from the name string. In case "Files of type" field is set to "All files(*)", the archive name will be exactly as you enter it, without automatically adding extension.

k0lo, could you please clarify if you encountered a case where when choosing "Backup archives (*.tib)" value, and erasing extension from the name string, the archive was created without extension? If yes, what version of Acronis True Image was that?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Marat:

You are correct - I just ran a test with Acronis True Image version 10, build 4942. If you set the Files of Type drop-down list to Backup Archive (*.tib) then the .tib extension is added correctly, even if you deliberately erase it from the file name.

If you set Files of Type to All Files (*) then no extension is added unless you type one manually. Sorry for the misleading information.

7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I'm glad to finally know why the extension is sometimes not added.

Almost always, I see the .tib added but once in a while it wouldn't be. Now, I know what I must have done.

Thanks,

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Well, this sounds like a small inconsistency in the UI that acronis should correct in the next build.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.