Missing Drive under Schedule Backup - Freeze...?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by loyukfai, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loyukfai

loyukfai Registered Member

- Configured Acronis to backup every 24 hours to an external drive (say E:)
    - E: is not always connected
    - In case E: is not connected and Acronis schedule fires up, the programs run and the operation cannot be cancelled (cancel button greyed out)

Any idea...?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello loyukfai,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please make sure you use the latest build of the respective version of Acronis True Image. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Could you please clarify, what version of Acronis True Image are you using? You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. loyukfai

Nevermind thanks for your response first.

I just started TI but it struck at the "Initialize..." splash screen... See attachment...

It is the same situation that when I find the scheduled backup doesn't run, and fire up the main TI program, it also struck there.

So maybe it's unrelated to the scheduling problem...?

Just checked the Windows logs but nothing special there. Anything I can do or provide to pinpoint the problem...?

Edit: Version 11.0 (build 8,101)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  4. Acronis Support

Hello loyukfai,

It's possible that the problem is caused by a conflict with Distributed Link Tracking Windows service. Please disable it and see if it solves the problem. It can be disabled at Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Component Services -> Services (Local).

Please see this thread for more information.

If that doesn't solve the problem, please download the latest version of Acronis drivers and install it with disabled logging.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Reinstall Acronis drivers with enabled logging;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. To expedite the resolution we recommend you to use our Live Chat service after that. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. loyukfai

Acronis True Image 11 Freezes on Startup

Further reports...

- It just happened again.
    - Disabling DLTW didn't seem to help.
    - It seems to happen only after the machine has (at least once) gone into and come back from sleep mode.
    - Once it happens, the system cannot be shut down normally. I have to use the power button to force a shutdown.
    - After reboots, ATI can starts up normally.

So...

- Just installed the snapapi to see if it helps. But it didn't ask me whether to enable logging, what gives...?
    - Collected a few error events from Windows' log, guess probably related (2 are hangs of TrueImageHomeNotify.exe and TrueImageHomeService.exe)
    - Already submitted a request with the log files.

Will post updates here if anything happens (hopefully not)

6. loyukfai

Re: Acronis True Image 11 Freezes on Startup

Just happened again... (already installed snapapi as mentioned...)

How to enable logging...?

Edit: Strange... After it hanged, I tried entering Standby and see what happen... After coming back from sleep, ATI started...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  7. loyukfai

To follow-up - The next time ATI freezed, it still struck after returning from Standby.

This is interesting... I couldn't establish a pattern for troubleshooting, yet.

P.S. I still don't know how to enable logging...?

Edit: Support request no. [Acronis #1696393]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  8. loyukfai

Since I was trying out Process Monitor 2.0 these days, I decided to use it to monitor trueimage.exe

When ATI fails to start, the trueimage.exe process seems to be struck at the operation RegOpenKey HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CTF\KnownClasses with the result NAME NOT FOUND.

Any idea...?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  9. Acronis Support

Hello loyukfai,

Usually, an option to enable logging appears on the third step of installing Snapapi drivers (after the previous instance was uninstalled).

Please also collect the rest of the requested information (Acronis Report, Windows system information), and send it with a reply to the message with Acronis request number you received.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

10. loyukfai

- It baffles me as well, the SnapAPI installer never ask me whether to enable logging. Even when uninstalled, rebooted and re-installed, I still didn't notice there's a logging option.

- Even more confusing, ATI still works after SnapAPI is uninstalled. I wonder if it's ever actually uninstalled at all.

- I also tried uninstalling ATI completely and re-installed, still a no-go.

- Also noticed that, even during a successful ATI start, the above mentioned RegOpenKey event also occured. But during a failed ATI start the process is "hanged" there.

- As I still don't have the SnapAPI log, what should I submit via email...?

- Found another problem, when ATI fails to start, plugging in external drive won't work, the Explorer will hang. Not sure if ATI hanging is a pre-requisite or the other way around.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  11. loyukfai

For some reasons I can't figure out, ATI seems to start fine in the last 20-time or so.

Maybe it's the installation of a newer version of the Intel Matrix Storage driver...? Maybe it's the downgrading from ESET's ESS to NOD32...? Or it's some other little trivial changes...?

Anyway, I'm glad the problem is gone (and not energetic enough to pinpoint the issue). If it does happen again I shall bring up this thread again.

Thanks for your attention and help all along Marat.

12. loyukfai

Alas... It happened again... I don't know what have I done or done not...

Marat: I've emailed the procmon log and the Windows system information to support@acronis.com

13. Acronis Support

Hello loyukfai,

Could you please also collect and send Acronis Report, as described in my previous posts?

As for SnapAPI logs, I will contact our Expert Team for assistance on that matter.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

14. loyukfai

Done.

Thanks for your attention to the matter. Have a nice weekend!

15. Acronis Support

Hello loyukfai,

I'm sorry for not being accurate enough in my request. In order to create Acronis Report file, please download Acronis Report utility, run it and create a report. The default name of this file is "report.txt" and it is saved on your desktop. Then, please send the created report with an e-mail.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

16. loyukfai

Done.

Thanks!

17. loyukfai

The strange situation mentioned in #6 happened again...

1. ATI froze
    2. System went into sleep
    3. After waking up, the trueimage.exe process exited peacefully

A Procmon log captured in between step 2 and 3 has been sent to the support email just in case.

Cheers and have a nice weekend! : )

18. Acronis Support

Hello loyukfai,

Thank you for the provided information. I have sent you an e-mail; please follow the instructions in it and let me know the results, here or via e-mail.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

19. loyukfai

Possibly the last update: Acronis offered to upgrade to 2009 for free and it solved the (original) problem.

Another problem popped up but I couldn't fully establish a link to True Image...

Anyway, now I don't use True Image's scheduler. I use a Autorun.inf on the removable drive so to launch True Image when the drive is plugged-in.

Besides, there's a way to use Windows' Task Scheduler to run True Image tasks as well. (Reference: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1225629&postcount=42)

20. loyukfai

A possible cause is found - ReadyBoost. I removed the SD card used for ReadyBoost and now the "new" problem is gone as far as I could tell.

Could it be the co-culprit of the original problem?

Cheers.

21. Acronis Support

Hello loyukfai,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

You are right, the original issue can be related to the SD card. The SnapAPI log file should have pointed us to the exact reason. Nevertheless, I am glad to know that the issue has been resolved.

Thank you.

__

Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.