Minor question

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Acadia, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I bought a new computer a couple of months ago and of course you can guess what was the very first program that I installed on it! :cool: The Secondary Snaphshot that was created I have kept in its pristine state, not adding a thing, it only has Windows and FirstDefense.

I have also made Archives of the pristine Snapshot so there is no fear of losing it. I want to bring the Secondary Snapshot up-to-date will the Microsoft Windows monthly updates. I know that some of you have done this. My question: would you install an anti-virus and software firewall first (I am behind a router) before going onto the Internet to obtain those MS updates? I would be jumping straight to MS using the Windows Update button. How would you guys handle it if it were your pc, add the AV and FW first, or just go straight to MS with your pristine Snapshot?

Thank you,
    Acadia

2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Hi Acadia,

I never install security software on my base snapshots.
    Just go straight to the microsoft updates.

Panagiotis

3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I do same with only my laptop. I don't do these kind of things on my desktops as others in the household use them. I have an out-of-the-box snapshot for my Dell laptop that I have no security software on and have gone online with solely for MS/Win updates to bring it up to date. Outside of that, I just keep the wireless radio shut off when in that snapshot or any of its "daughters". I guess it helps my comfort level that I'm also behind a firewall router.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I have online armor in my secondary, but I rarely update it. Only thing it's fore is to boot into it to restore primary archive.

Pete

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks fellows.

Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.