Migrated OS to SSD closed discussion.

Discussion in 'Paragon Early Adopter Program' started by tolis6146, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paragon_MA

Paragon_MA Paragon Moderator

Re: Reviewer's Guide link from email is junk

Do you use Office 2007? The problem you report indicates that Microsoft Word 2003 is used to open this document. And dosx file is opened by Office 2007-2010 only.

2. jrgeoffrion

jrgeoffrion Registered Member

Migrate OS to SSD product name... changeo_O

Although the name "Migrate OS to SSD" is "descriptive", I do think that it is restrictive. It, implicitely, removes anyone who just wants to migrate to another (larger or faster) hard drive as well as those that would like to "just" backup their OS.

So, my recommendation would be to use the "Migrate OS to SSD" as a tag line... and think of another name...

3. Migrator

Migrator Registered Member

Needs Some Work-Too Vague.

Software description unclear. It states "since" windows Xp. Does that include
    Xp or does it mean later than Xp?

I run a dual-boot Xp+Win7 i.e. 2 partitions on one drive (500GB)

I wish to migrate both partitions to a single OCZ 240 GB Bigfoot drive
    preferably in one single operation.

So far there is no indication if or how this can be done.

Also there is not enough information on setting the correct SSD offset to
    maximize SSD performance-or will this be automatically done by the software.

Any help will be appreciated.

4. Migrator

Migrator Registered Member

Here is what we need

I believe that Paragon could have done better in conceptualizing this software. This is potentially a killer app and could make a smsll fortune if it provides what users actually need.

Paragon already has most of the tools and this application needs to be redesigned as follows:

1) The application should boot from cd or usb-the tools are there.
    2) The application should find the SSD and initialize it.
    3) The application should offer partitioning and quick ntfs formatting including
    setting the starting offset for SSD drives-so that all ssd drives will perform
    well.
    4) Partitioning of the new ssd in percentage terms should be possible.
    5) Copy of partitions/entire disks including disks with several partitions should
    be possible-it already is using several tools.
    5) The option to keep existing drive letters/volume names and letters should
    be present.
    6) If the data cannot fit in the partitions of the new SSD only then should the
    Windows install be done to remove suggested folders until it can fit.
    7) All the above is already possible using several tools and Paragon already
    has most of what is needed.
    :cool: There is a huge market for an application as outlined above-possibly for
    the next 4-5 years until SSDs become larger and cheaper.
    9) The SSD manufacturers are seeking and will purchase licences for the
    application if it makes migration simple and foolproof as outlined above.

I simply cannot understand why Paragon and its competitors do not understand what users want in a single application.

The verdict of early users and experts will make or break this application.

I know that an opportunity is being missed here.

5. tzippi

tzippi Registered Member

Re: Paragon migrate OS to SSD my review

I migrate an Windows 7 Professional to an SSD. Partition size was 500Gb, used 56Gb. Migrate to an 240Gb SSD on USB3 Connection, failed with IO error. When i used the internal sata the program running trough without errors. But booting stops with winload error: File is not signed, please use Recovery Disk. After repair the sytem is running well.

6. linuxman2010

linuxman2010 Registered Member

Paragon Migrate OS to SSD

I have to say this worked like a charm! I copied a 160GB SATA Disk to a 60 GB SSD without and issue. Good job Paragon!

7. a_302

a_302 Registered Member

Paragon Migrate OS to SSD, it works.

The review guide gave me a clear view of what to expect. I liked the fact that I was able to choose what files I wanted to copy over.
    My computer was running Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP2 on a WD Caviar Blue 320 GB, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16 MB Cache, 7200 RPM drive. I used a USB 2.0 IDE/SATA adapter kit to connect the OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX120G drive.
    The time it took was very short. I'm sorry I did not write down the exact time it took. However it took around 40 minutes when I used it to copy the drive to another WD Caviar Blue 320 GB, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16 MB Cache, 7200 RPM drive.
    Both times I used the product, the process was completed error free and target drives booted the computer without a problem.
    The partition copied was 120GB with 75GB in use.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  8. Paragon_MA

Re: Paragon Migrate OS to SSD, it works.

Thank you for your feedback.

9. Paragon_MA

Re: Paragon Migrate OS to SSD

Thanks for your feedback!

10. Paragon_MA

Re: Paragon migrate OS to SSD my review

Can you connect the USB3 drive to USB2.0 interface and try there? Also please open a support request with this issue. We will track it down.

11. pszilard

pszilard Registered Member

Glad it worked for you. Can you explain what happens with the "excess" files that are not migrated across?

Are all Program Files get moved, or only Windows? If only Windows what happens to apps.

In either case, does the tool change any pointers, which used to point to C: and now have to point to another drive letter?

I am interested to find out so I can make use of this in a number PCs.

Thanks in advance,

12. Paragon_MA

Hello Paul,

you cannot exclude from copy system files such as Windows folder, Program Files, Document & Settings, Users. But you can easily get deselected the data inside of Users folder (the Downloads, My Music, My Videos etc) that is not system data or user profile data.
    Next version of the tool going to have important files disabled for selection. Thus user could boot correctly from copied system.

13. Paragon_MA

Re: Needs Some Work-Too Vague.

Current version will migrate only one OS. Multiboot configurations are not supported yet. And yes, it does support XP and newer OS.
    The tool aligns system partition to 1024 offset automatically thus no additional alignment is needed.

14. Paragon_MA

Hello friends,

many thanks for your feedback and discussion on Paragon Migrate OS to SSD tool. Thus I am collecting this into one thread in order to close the discussion in this very thread.

15. Paragon_MA

Re: Migrated OS to SSD early adopter program is closed.

Dear Early Adopter,
    We truly appreciate your participation in Paragon Early Adopter Program!
    We’ve just released updated version of the component in accordance to received feedback. Migrate OS to SSD is no longer available as a free download and can be purchased for $19.95 via our website.
    As Early Adopter you will receive this updated version for free.
    Email with download links and registration info for the software will be sent to you today from eservice@paragon-software.com.
    If you do not receive a confirmation email from us, please check your spam, bulk or junk mail folders. If you find the email there, your ISP or your own software spam-blocker or filters are diverting our e-mail.
    Best regards,
    Paragon Software team.
    If you have any questions, please contact sales@paragon-software.com or call Tel. 1-888-347-5462,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.