Migrated OS to SSD closed discussion.

Discussion in 'Paragon Early Adopter Program' started by tolis6146, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vhick

vhick Registered Member

Re: Migrate OS to SSD Download Link Expired

thank you very much. I'm downloading right now. I gonna test it later. ;)

2. RayZZor

RayZZor Registered Member

Paragon Migrate OS to SSD - Perfect for upgrading a notebook

Do you have a 2-3 years old notebook (Windows Vista, dual core processor, HDD) having only one bay for an internal disk? In this case you may have wondered whether you should buy a new, up-to-date notebook (Windows7, maybe Intel Core i3/i5/i7 processor) having a SSD, or if you can upgrade the old one by exchanging the HDD by a SSD.:doubt:
    This was my situation some weeks ago. My guess was that the upgrade would allow to keep my old notebook (ASUS V1S) for at least another year without beeing annoyed by its relatively low performance.
    The main hurdle for the upgrade (beside the costs of the SSD) was the migration of the system partition from the HDD to the new SSD. I bought the SSD (OCZ Vertex2) without being sure about the best option for the migration.:doubt: At this time, I was not aware of "Paragon Migrate OS to SSD" and I was frightened by the risk I have to take when using some "hacker tools" (like Clonezilla) to do the job.o_O
    Before starting the migration, I mounted the SSD in an eSATA housing and connected it to my notebook. Since still being unsure about the software to use, I searched again for an alternative to Clonezilla. I was happy to find the professional, user friendly Paragon Windows software and immediately decided to perform the migration with this tool.:D
    To my surprise, the migration was perfectly smooth and quite fast. There are only a few minor issues that should be improved (e.g. the manual, the progress indication etc.), but nothing really serious.:cool:
    So far, I observed no problems with the OS (Windows Vista Business 32bit), Windows Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Powerpoint) or any of my other applications. The speed of the SSD is impressive: The boot time is approximalely divided by two; PDF documents are displayed almost immediately; all applications are starting and reacting much faster.:thumb:
    :isay: My recommendation: "Paragon Migrate OS to SSD" should be supplied with any SSD sold to end users.:D :thumb: :D :thumb:

3. handzel

handzel Registered Member

My suggestion

Paragon Migrate OS to SSD. The program works well only problem is the lack of their own choice on the destination disk partition.

4. Paragon_MA

Paragon_MA Paragon Moderator

Re: My suggestion

Thank you for feedback. This tool is mainly designed for users who want to migrate their OS to SSD drive. In future for different products we will implement all the requested features. But sure the product will have different name and goal.

5. Paragon_MA

Re: Paragon Migrate OS to SSD - Perfect for upgrading a notebook

Many thanks for your feedback.

6. Paragon_MA

Re: Migrate OS to SSD Download Link Expired

You are always welcome

7. dfan

dfan Registered Member

[SOLVED] error; cannot complete installation

I am unable to complete the installation. The file referred to in the error message is Paragon's installer .msi

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/8792/installh.png
    (error message screencap)

Please help me get a working version of this program since I need to move my OS!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  8. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Re: error; cannot complete installation

in case the original upload was corrupted, download again and retry. What AV is in use?

9. dfan

dfan Registered Member

I'll try re-DL.

Avira (no warnings from AV)

10. dfan

dfan Registered Member

That got it!

The original DL must have gotten corrupted...

11. dfan

dfan Registered Member

BUG: "time remaining" stayed in single-digit seconds

The migration went smoothly but for the "time remaining" counter which started at 1 second and got to about 7 seconds before I ignored it entirely.

Better to start at an arbitrary number (1min/GB?) and count down :D

Otherwise smooth as could be!

12. Paragon_MA

Re: BUG: "time remaining" stayed in single-digit seconds

This is a known bug and we are going to fix it.
    Thank you for your report.

13. Paragon_MA

Re: Migrate OS to SSD 10.0.15 hangs at calculating copy size

Thank you for your report.
    Could you please tell us if you do not exclude files in second case (copy to 1.5TB drive) does it hang the same way like in first case?

14. Lacko50

Lacko50 Registered Member

> tell us if you do not exclude files in second case (copy to 1.5TB drive)
    As I wrote "I only wanted to move the Windows directory to the new disk", that is, I deselected everything, only the Windows directory remained. It means 25GB selected of the 100GB used space on the 150GB boot disk.

> does it hang the same way like in first case?
    Yes. It shows that the crash was not caused by the destination drive, but by the file selection process.

15. Paragon_MA

thank you for update. All the information has been forwarded to our developers. The process of exclude is being worked with currently. We are researching possible ways of improvement.

16. Lacko50

Lacko50 Registered Member

When you get an (even experimental) fix, please send it to me. I'd give it a try.

17. Paragon_MA

Will do for sure.

18. Oxford_Al

Oxford_Al Registered Member

Re: Ok I don't think is working

Hi
    I would like to post the log files created by this program but I have searched my C: drive and nothing has been created. Is this because I killed the program during the never ending "calculating size" step?
    Perhaps something could be provided in the instructions about to how to move just the OS onto a clean drive and maybe a "de-select all" option so that the task of unselceting all the unnecessary folders can be speeded up.
    I will have another attempt at this but if I run into the same problem it might also be my last attempt.
    Thanks
    Al

19. Maeghas

Maeghas Registered Member

I also had problems during the Calculating step but I let it run overnight and it did eventually get to the Migration stage. However, that is as far as I got. The program seems not to go any farther. Note: I am running 64-bit Windows. Please see my posts under Questions For Early Adopters regarding my efforts.

If there are any files created during the process, you will find them in the Migrate OS to SSD program file structure (usually in Program Files (x86) on the system drive). I don't know if any of the necessary files are created if you cannot get past the Calculating stage, but there are files available if you can get past it.

Note: fdisk.log is much too large to upload to this forum. But the others, if you can locate them, should be within the limits.

20. Maeghas

Maeghas Registered Member

Please remember this isn't even a Beta test. You can't be impatient with an Alpha-type program and give it thumbs down just because it didn't work one or two times. From the posts I've seen in this sub-thread you would think the reviewers had put down big money for the program.

The purpose of the Early Adopter test is to get constructive feedback. The attitude of "I can't spend any more time on this, sorry" is just not thorough testing philosophy. I won't be able to test this program any more than I already have at the moment, but I await an improved version to see if anything gets worked out.

21. mwarnerii

mwarnerii Registered Member

Re: Stuck on "Calculating copy size..."

I had the same problem. I think it has to do with how many files are in the partition you pick as the source partition. It seems to me that it did not matter how many files I select from the partition. My Windows XP partitions had over 60,000 files each. I then converted my virtual images of Windows into real partitions. I ended up performing a clean install of Windows XP to get a Windows partition that I can use as the source without waiting for an eternity.

22. Phitar

Phitar Registered Member

Re: Reviewer's Guide link from email is junk

I'm having the same problem. I get a zip file that contains xml. Tried this on two pc's and get the same thing.

23. Paragon_MA

Thank you for your feedback. We are working over the file and folder exclude problem at the moment and going to fix all the problem we met in this early adopter program.

24. Paragon_MA

Sorry for the inconveniences it caused to you. The fact that system asked for restart indicates that there were locked files on SSD drive or your OS had stopped VSS service.
    To get the clear result it would be nice to delete all partitions on SSD, check via Windows services if Microsoft VSS service is started and run the migration.
    This way it must work (even if calculation takes longer).

25. Paragon_MA

Oxford_Al, we are considering the way to disable exclude of system folders that should shorten the calculation time and ensure the user that OS will be migrated properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.