Migrate to SSD No free space error

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by Sextooth, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sextooth

Sextooth Registered Member

I'm trying to migrate my OS partition (F:\) to my new SSD drive (L:\) but am getting this error message after I select which hard drive I want the OS moved to.

No free space (can't create partition of requested size) (error code: 0x10003)

The OS (Windows 7 64 bit) partition is 195 GB but only about 90 GB of it is being used. The SSD drive is a 160GB drive with 148 Gigs free (nothing is on it, that's just all that is available). The Hard drive the OS is on is a 1 TB hard drive with 2 other partitions on it (one of the other partitions has Windows Vista on it, however I rarely use Vista anymore, though that partition has a lot of programs on it that I do use).

One thing I did try was selecting a 1TB external hard drive as the target hard drive (which at the moment has very little on it) and that didn't come up with an error message, it said it would take up about 16% of the hard drive, and the copy button was no longer grayed out like it was before. I've heard people mentioning hidden partitions that can cause issues like this, so part of me thinks it may have something to do with the windows vista partition (which was installed before Windows 7). Though the fact that my external hard drive has no errors come up but my SSD does makes me wonder if maybe there is a setting on the SSD I need to change.

Any thoughts as to how I can fix this? Thanks for your help!

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

It appears Windows 7 boot files are stored in Vista partition and to keep the system bootable Migrate OS is going to copy Vista partition too.
    If you do not need Vista partition at all, I will provide you instructions.

If you need Vista, please specify if you have another Paragon program (not Migrate OS) installed or install Backup And Recovery Free (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/index.html). And I will guide you how to fix the situation.

Please let me know what variant is most suitable for you.

3. Sextooth

Sextooth Registered Member

I was actually able to move the windows 7 partition using a manual method, however I would still like to figure out what caused this issue, in case I do this again in the future. I don't really need to use windows vista itself anymore, but I do have quite a few programs installed on that partition. I have acronis partition manager as a backup program as well as the backup and recovery program that came with windows 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.