Migrate OS to SSD gives I/O error with 14% left

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by jpwilk, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpwilk

jpwilk Registered Member

Wanting to migrate my WinXP on my HDD to SSD. The XP install is 30GB less than the SSD capacity.
    Prior to buying "Migrate OS to SSD" I used Acronis True Image to restore an image of my XP drive to the SSD. The SSD boots fine and XP is a lot faster than when run on the HDD. The only thing is is that the alignment is not right for SSD performance which is why I went with Migrate OS to SSD as it is supposed to do the correct alignment.
    When I run Migrate I check the box to format the SSD and it goes OK into "Copying partition". When at "Copy partition" it gets to 14 secs to go and stops with an I/O error on the SSD. If I click to ignore the error it gives the same error 2 more times and then finishes. I've done the migrate with and without "Use all available space...." option checked and get the same thing. (The SSD will boot XP but freezes after the desktop is up (no surprise there)).
    I booted to my HDD and used Disk Manager to delete the partition on the SSD and create a new one (using all of the SSD), formatted and ran chkdsk which didn't find any problems. I run Migrate again and get the same problem.
    Any ideas what is happening?

2. Kobayashi maru

Kobayashi maru Registered Member

Drivin' all night my hands wet on the wheel....
    Have you securely erased the SSD? If not, problems can carry across from previous operations. Also, I doubt checkdisk will be of any real use.

I use Parted these days for SSD: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.