Migrate Easy V7.0 Personal fails to install

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by codswallop, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. codswallop

codswallop Registered Member

On Win 98 machine, the installation script stops with:

"Thank you for choosing Acronis Migrate Easy. Unfortunately the program cannot continue because an error occurred.

Please attempt to run Acronis Migrate Easy again later."

Any suggestions?

regards

codswallop

2. rust8ted

rust8ted Guest

Same problem, with both 98, and ME. Any ideas anybody?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello codswallop and rust8ted,

Thank you for choosing Acronis System Transfer Software.

Our Testing Lab is currently working on reproducing this problem. Please send the description of the problem to support@acronis.com and we will provide you with the solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. johnb

johnb Guest

Same here.
    Windows 98 SE
    DELL optiplex GX1
    320MB RAM

Gets as far as 'installing drivers' then says
    'Thank you for choosing Acronis Migrate Easy. Unfortunately the program cannot continue because an error occurred.

Please attempt to run Acronis Migrate Easy again later'

I tried later, but still got the same error. How much later do you suggest that I try?

I then tried to run the Acronis system information tool. This got as far as 'analysing drive C' and then locked up. Marvellous.

5. codswallop

Hi Ilya

Thanks for the response, but what more information can we give you? Unfortunately the descriptions above pretty much cover it. Question is, where do we go from here?

regards

codswallop
    P.S. oh and it is Win 98SE

6. JeremyJW

JeremyJW Guest

Well it's nice to see it's not just me with the problem.

I have tried it in all three steps with a new drive as Sec Master, from it being plain, fdisk to get as D: and then formatted, but get the same as you all.

Have done all the normal things like killing the virus checker, and ZoneAlam specifically, as well as anything else running.

I now have a nice empty drive to fill and was so hoping that this package would remove my worries as it being a freebi allowed me to afford the drive.

I run ME as well.

TIme to add my name to their support, but always feel that it being a freebi it is a bit of a cheek and hope to find answers in FAQ's etc.

7. Acronis Support

Hello all,

I am sorry for the vagueness of the explanation.

Under the description of the problem I ment what operating system you use (if Windows 98 is it Windows 98 or Windows 98 SE), what is your computer configuration (especially hard disk controller and hard disks models). Please try to install Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0 in Safe mode (when Windows boots up please press F8 and choose Safe mode to boot into) and let us know the result.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. johnb

johnb Guest

Hi Ilya,

I have just tried to install in Safe mode. Unfortunately, the result was the same as previously, though in larger font and fewer colours.

Cheers, John

9. TrevorH

TrevorH Guest

Hello All, hope this might help:
    I have the same symptons as you have all reported on a Win98SE system. Now, when something will not install I usually suspect the installation routine... not the system.

Did we all get the code from the same source? Mine came from a cover mount on Personal Computer world, June 2005 issue''. They claim it was an "exclusive"; it has certainly excluded me! Ther installation package was a file migrateeasy7.0_p_en.exe File properties shows internal name as MigrateEasy and Product Version as 7.0.0.611 with Special Build Description as $.

You probably have several different installation routines and I am sure the one for the full product works. I liked the bit of the installation that offered to install "for all users", a nice and useful on XP systems. Is it just a coincidence that all postings so far are from 98 and ME systems, I wonder? And does having the second drive connected when trying for the installation affect the result?

Hope this helps support track the problem down.

10. johnb

johnb Guest

yes, PCW cover disk here. Have tried install with and without new HD attached. Results as documented.

11. TrevorH

TrevorH Guest

Here is some more information about the single installation executable file that was distributed by Personal Computer World.

Winzip will not open it claiming that "a substantial portion of the file is not in the Zip format". It suggested a rename with a .zip extension to to access the portion that was. So, a quick copy, rename and an open in winZip v8.0 showed 29 files including the pdf manual for migrate easy v7 and a setup9x.dll. Nothing that looked like an installation executable, though. "Hovering" over the renamed file gives a little message "No Zip file, bad Zip file or part of a spanned Zip file".

So it looks like a problem in the file as distributed? And who gets to correct that one?

Rgds to all, TrevorH

12. Acronis Support

Hello all,

Please register your serial number at our site and then download the installation package once again from page with registered products. This will fix the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

13. TrevorH

TrevorH Guest

Ilya, absolutely right, new download and it installs smoothly, so well done to the support team.

Product seems to work pretty well too, getting me out of a problem in fine style.

Rgds, TrevorH

14. codswallop

Thanks Ilya, it installs now. I seem to be having another problem in actually using it though. This isn't the right thread for that issue so I'll search the forum and re-post if I can't fix it.

regards

codswallop

15. JeremyJW

JeremyJW Guest

I have done as you say and it installed a treat; I now have a mirror copy of my drive and feel much safer now.

Thanks for the free copy from PCW mag.

Confession time.

I found the key you had against me was not the one I was using; found I had a second e-mail with the logged one in and used that. I did also download and run the new installation package and use that as well.

Thanks again for your time and freebi.

16. Acronis Support

Hello codswallop,

First of all, I would like to tell that I am glad to hear you (and other people) have solved the problem and can now use Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0.

You may either describe your problem here or create a new thread in Other Acronis Products section.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.