Migrate Easy Problems & Issues

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by knet2020, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knet2020

knet2020 Registered Member

Migrate Easy Problems & Issues *FIXED*

Hi,
    I closed a 160GB Seagate > 160GB Maxtor and have come to a complete dead end. The 'clone' routine appeared to go with no errors as the (D) drive was completely empty. MG used 'automatic' settings and appears to have got through step 2.... i.e i got a message advising me the clone was a success etc and understood that I needed to replace the 'old' disk to boot from the 'clone' via the bios etc

So I did this and recieved an 'Error booting OS' message, checked the bios and it was booting from the CDrom so switched this to 'cloned' drive and still get the error message.

I have used Knoppix and can 'see' the original drive but the 'cloned' drive does not show, I have played around with the XP install disk and this see's the 'cloned' drive as unpartitioned space.

[Edit with additional info & progress]

I have now got a little further and suspect this problem is something to do with < 137 GB drives. I tried again to carry out a migration (after using Dynamic Drive Overlay (DDO) from Maxtor's MaxBlast 4) this was more of a fluke o_O but it got Windows back up and running which was a relief to say the least...

So I have done another migration and ME7 reports a success (this time I did it from the Full boot disk) but in the end I get the same problem, ie 'Error booting OS' so my thoughts are.

1 - Do I need to have my 'new' disk unpartioned ?
    2 - Is this related to DDO
    2 - If so how do I add the DDO without formating the disk.
    3 - Does ME7 only want > 137GB partions (I am using SP1)
    4 - I now have a 'report.txt' file created under my current working C drive.

I am convinced I am nearly there with it but am probably missing something really obvious :)

SUCCESS :)

It appears that I have now been able to do it, but it was trial and error and the included Arconis Instructions fail to mention 1 pretty important point...

So here are the steps I took for others who may have the same problem.

1 - 2 x 160 GB Drives (C) Master & (D) Slave
    2 - XP installed on (C) in 1 partition
    3 - Run Migrate Easy 7.0
    4 - Cone (C) to (D) * On my setup (D) was unpartioned your may not be
    5 - Reboot the machine
    6 - Message appears advising 'Complete'
    7 - My Computer shows 2 disks (C) & (D) BOTH labeled 'Master'
    8 - Power down PC
    9 - Switch drives so 'old' (C) is now Slave & 'new' (D) is Master (C)
    10 - Enter Bios to switch boot sequence to Master
    11 - Power up... Arconis message advised that drive letters will be set
    12 - XP states 'New Drive will not work till reboot' i.e the Slave
    13 - Reboot PC
    14 - My Computer shows 1 Hard Drive (C)
    15 - Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management
    16 - Storage > Disk Management shows Master (C) and Slave (No Drive assigned) so I right click and assign (D)
    17 - My Computer > (D) > Properties > Label

So as mentioned above the pretty important point was:

You do not need to make the switch of drives until AFTER a full reboot.

The instructions don't really make this clear indeed the manual/screenshots also advise along the lines of 'You need to remove the old drive once data transfer is complete' which in my mind was after the 'Success message' at step 2.

So I am now one happy bunny (will still run a few more checks) but after my initial problems it does appear that Migrate Easy 7 does exactly what it says on the tin :)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: Migrate Easy Problems & Issues *FIXED*

Hello knet2020,

Thank you for choosing Acronis System Transferring Software.

Could you please do the following:

- Download Acronis Report utility from http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe;
    - Run Acronis Report utility and select the "Create bootable floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the floppy drive and proceed with creating the bootable diskette;
    - Perform the cloning once again;
    - Boot the computer with both new and cloned drive from this diskette and wait for report creation process to complete;
    - Send the report.txt file from the floppy disk to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.