Microsoft's Software is Malware

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by mirimir, Sep 4, 2018.

1. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html

2. XenMan

XenMan Registered Member

Slightly alarmist as usual, however in principle I think these things are now a given with Win 10.

But with a good firewall, anti-exe, and disabling certain files by taking ownership, Win 10 can be nicely tamed.

Also, if you keep updating to the latest version you will need a bigger stick.

3. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

I think it is justified that Microsoft voluntarily allows to send encryption keys to their servers. Regular thief does not have access to Microsoft servers, so he/she can't access your stolen laptop data. It servers purpose for a lot of people.
    On the other hand a lot of people used encryption and forgotten their passwords resulting in data loss. They cursed the day they used encryption.

It all comes down to definition of backdoor. Whether or nor software shop/store in commercial form are backdoor?

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I just happened to come across it, in researching stuff I'm writing. And yes, it's somewhat alarmist. But what makes it notable is that it's gnu.org, and not just some random website.

5. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

Richard Stallman says a lot of controversial things and have vastly different worldview on software and computing than most people. I agree with him on some things, but I don't agree on others.

6. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

A possibly small point, but the backdooring of disk encryption is actually referring to the backup of keys associated with a Live Account. But, this is something you do NOT have to do, you can use the old-fashioned account types.

I think a more balanced statement is that there are many ways for the TLAs to obtain information from a W10 system, more than previously in some ways. On the other hand, for commercial type threats, it does have some advantages (secure boot etc).

7. BriggsAndStratton

BriggsAndStratton Registered Member

Microsoft may have a backdoor or be insecure? No. Who would think that??

8. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

This isn't new information mate. I mean, at least for people who've been paying attention to these things, this isn't surprising in even the slightest extent. I guess for new commers on this site, they will probably have only recently noticed the lack of privacy on Windows OSes, but this isn't some shocking new revelation. People have know about the backdoors and all-invasive, Orwellian, Big-Brother nature of Windows and other Microsoft products for many years before even Edward Snowden leaked this information to the mainstream news circa 2013.

9. Socio

Socio Registered Member

Interesting, would simply locking Windows 10 down with Hard Configurator or Syshardner suffice or would you still need an anti-exe like Voodooshield or Appguard to kick that backdoor closed?

10. XenMan

XenMan Registered Member

I’m not an extremist in the dangers of the lack of privacy as some around here, so I’m not so concerned in that area. But what I am concerned about is Win 10 doing whatever it wants, whenever it wants.

I use Voodoo Shield in ‘Paranoid’ mode so nothing happens without my approval. It may be too much hassle for some just to enable normal use in this setting, but I like it. Hardening will help as well as other apps. Don’t forget a good firewall, although Windows uses generic files for all sorts of things that if blocked, stops all internet access.

The reality is that the data collection is just for algorithms to better target advertising and to make Windows better for M$ and not particularly for you. No one can present tangible examples of issues with data collection, from people they know; just paranoid speculation on what could happen as if someone is interested in them in particular.

11. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

The only reason I still use Windows is to play some PC games, but other than that Linux/iOS is better than Windows in every conceiveable way. But if you are truly paranoid of being survellianced by the government, the only solution is to completely unplug yourself from the Internet. But that isn't possible anymore given that the Internet is connected with everything we do, and everything we do is connected to the Internet.

12. Beyonder

Beyonder Registered Member

So much text, so few sources.

13. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

:thumb:
    Don't patronize known data collectors (google, twitter, yahoo etc.) Glad I don't have to rely on them. Windows yes to play games (off-line), no windows updates!
    One day when the revenues fall short they will have to listen to, not spy on the people.
    The pendulum will swing back.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.