Microsoft to announce a WFP hotfix for lockup issues on Windows Vista/7/2008 Server

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Marcos, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Microsoft has announced a hotfix for stability (system lockup) issues in Windows Filtering Platform implemented in Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 2008 Server and Windows 2008 Server R2:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2664888/en-us

2. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

Has anyone installed this hot fix on Windows Server 2008 (non R2)?

The KB article clearly says it is for Vista, 7, 2008 and 2008 R2, but the download links only mention 2008 R2.

Hopefully this fixes the lockup issues so that we can stop running NOD32 3.0.695 on our servers.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

If you are not finding a download specific for Server 2008 it is likely the Vista patch is the same file.

4. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

Good call Jack. I re-read the KB article (instead of skimming it) and sure enough, they had a little note about Vista/2008 Server.

"Important Windows Vista hotfixes and Windows Server 2008 hotfixes are included in the same packages. However, only "Windows Vista" is listed on the Hotfix Request page."

5. bcronin

bcronin Registered Member

Is this something every eset user needs to apply, or what? Not familiar with WFP.

6. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

WFP is the new API in Vista/Win7 that AV products use to intercept I/O traffic for inspection. XP uses an older method that this does not apply to. The hotfix should only be applied if you are experiencing the issue described, otherwise you may introduce some other unintended issues because it has not been tested extensively. The hotfix will most likely be rolled in to the next OS service pack or update rollup.

7. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

There are some hotfixes that are identified as SP4 for XP, but I don't believe that MS has ever announced a Service Pack 4 for XP.

8. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

Because they fell outside the mainstream support window which expired for XP in 2009. Windows 7 mainstream support runs through 2015; we'll see at least another service pack. Probably two.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/lifecycle

9. scootrz32

scootrz32 Registered Member

I want to try it but don't want to lock-up my servers. Anyone reporting any success?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.