Microsoft TechNet Plus subscription-- what,s the deal?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I can,t understand MS TechNet Plus subscription at all.

Suppose I buy Windows 7 ultimate at regular price. It will cost me almost $320 and I will be able to install it only on one PC.

On the other hand I can get MS TechNet Plus subscription by paying just $349 and now I can use Windows 7, windows vista or XP on as many PCs as I want. I can put as amny copies of windows in VMs as I want/ need for software testing/ play. Moreover I can install MS Office latest version on all my PCs plus many other software.

My question is why some one will buy windows in this case? MS TechNet Plus subscription is all that we need.

I think sure I am missing some thing here. Any one pls to explain?

Thanks

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

TechNet does have some advantages. :)

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hmmm... to me it seems that it has all the advantages. Why to buy a copy of just windows?

4. loli22

loli22 Registered Member

MS TechNet is for testing only, you cant use an OS from Technet for commercial or business use.
    if you're a home user it would be better to get Technet subscription with a discount rather than buy windows 7 retail.

5. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

+1.

It only makes sense to buy TechNet instead of the full retail versions.

6. ambient_88

You only get 10 activations initially, so it will be limited to ten different hardware configurations at first. However, you can call Microsoft to get things sorted out.

7. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Get a subscription and let us know how it works out.:D

8. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

The problem is you can use Technet software only for testing purposes and not in a production environment. I don't care for that EULA restriction so I buy the retail product.

If you intend to do a lot of testing, Technet may be a good value.

9. ambient_88

Microsoft doesn't strictly enforce this rule, so it's just a matter of one's principles, I guess.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hmm.... what you think of a typical home use?

Thanks

11. ambient_88

Testing purposes = not production work. So, typical home use would not qualify. However, many people take advantage of TechNet Plus because of the obvious value it provides.

12. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Technet and Action Pack are fantastic deals for those who work in IT. No doubt about it. Get almost every desktop and server product MS makes for slightly above the price most people pay for a single retail copy of Windows.

13. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

How long will a 350 buck subscription last you? Thanks.

14. YeOldeStonecat

They are for 1 year, you renew it yearly. Even if you don't want "new" software, but intend to keep using the software you installed from last years subscription...you're expected to renew..if not, uninstall whatever you used, destroy the CDs and keys.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Oh really, u can,t even use the software u have installed already?

Not a good deal at all in that case.

16. ambient_88

You are expected to uninstall everything you use, but you don't have to. It's all about ethical behavior, I suppose.

17. YeOldeStonecat

It's a subscription license, as long as your subscription is valid, you can use your software. If you decide to quite the subscription, say "bye bye" to your software.

How is it not a good deal? If I flip through my Microsoft Action Pack...I have pretty much 10x licenses for every desktop product Microsoft made....all versions of Windows, versions of Office, and 1x license and 10x CALs for almost every Server product made..Windows Server, Exchange Server, Sharepoint, Small Business Server, Forefront antivirus, ISA Server, Communications Server...

It's available in a couple of versions from around 299 bucks to just under 500 bucks. If you add up the MSRP of all the licenses you get...oh boy...I don't see how anyone can say "not a good deal".

These programs are not designed for the average home user to find a way to get Windows cheap. It's a way that Microsoft helps support people in IT who need to learn MS products, and work with/develop on them.

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Actually i was talking about ordinary users. It,s good of course for professionals and many others.

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, I think you are wrong here. See this.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/cc150618.aspx

20. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

TechNet Plus Subscription Discounted, Now Just $261.75

Read Here.

Aigle, now is your chance. ;)

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Seems a good option. I am still thinking as I have already pre-ordered Windows 7 premium full version in £64.68 from amazon.uk, to run it in a VM for software/ malware testing etc. I plan to buy full version of XP Home for VM too that will cost me less than this. And I am not sure if I will need more than this from MS Technet.

22. YeOldeStonecat

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks. I was a bit confused.

In that case, TechNet will not be an option for me and MSDN will be too expensive for my needes.

24. noblelord

noblelord Registered Member

I've just renewed my TechnetPlus subscription for another year, and agree it's fantastic. It gives me the option to test how software will run on different configurations and the like with zero risk.

But as others above have said, it's not for home users to get things on the cheap. Microsoft do audit companies on their licences etc, and using any Technet product in a production environment is frowned upon by MS.

I have done rather well out of TechNet recently though - they invited UK subscribers to Wembley stadium last week for the UK technical launch of Windows 7. All who attended were given two copies (32 & 64 bit) of Windows 7 Ultimate Final Release. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.