Microsoft Ships Internet Explorer 8 Browser

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Perhaps, that's the reason why I witness slowness when doing certain things that require administrative rights?

I do have those 3 immunizations in my system.

I'll try to reproduce it. I'll deploy a virtual machine to test it, as soon as possible.

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i have reinstalled after removing it and it seems okay now im not sure what caused the initial issues i saw but so far it seems stable and is much faster then ie7 for sure

3. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Running very nicely on my Windows XP Pro and after
    a few tweaks.....real nice and its a lot faster for me than IE7

4. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

What tweaks did you make?

5. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

It's a function of the number of sites in the zones (perhaps only in the Restricted Zone?).

It's been verified by Microsoft already and by yours truly.

It exists.

6. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Took the plunge and installed IE8 over IE7 following the instructions from MS. Having read in the install instructions that it was recommended to reset Advanced Settings before installing I did this in IE7 too.

Everything seemed to go OK but when I tried to access web sites that I had done under IE7 whilst the tab listed the website address or part of it the main part of the tab remained blank. This was even the case when trying to launch my homepage (which under IE7 is set to the Google's UK website).

I then tried to go Tools/Internet Options the following error message was displayed:

"This operation has been canceled due to permissions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."

or words to that effect. Something that never happened with IE7.

Anyway, had to rollback to IE7 whilst I try to find out why this occured for me when a lot of other with IE8 are not having these issues. :doubt:

Anybody come across either of these two issues with the Final Version of IE8? o_O

Regards

Baldrick

7. RAD

RAD Registered Member

Still no problems for me. It is working fast and clean.
    I installed and run under my ADMIN account. maybe that makes a difference ?
    I installed right over IE7 per the website instructions also.

8. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I went ahead and installed IE8 today on Vista Home Premium/SP1. It made sense since I took a full backup this morning. More later.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Same here also. It's clean for me, no issues. Fairly fast as well. I'd put Opera and Chrome ahead of it in speed, but it's pretty good now.

10. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Well, I have had a bit of time to play with IE8 now. Definitely not as fast as Firefox on my machine. Also, if I deny IE8 the ability to track keystrokes, mouse movements, etc (via ZAAV), IE8 will crash by DEP. And I am quite displeased that IE8 simply takes the role of the default browser without asking or telling. Rude behavior. It also has many more moving parts than IE7 had. Still, with ZAAV definitions set up like those used for IE7 (denying internet access unless explicitly granted when it asks), it will probably do no more or less than IE7 did. And it is current software.

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

It will never be a practical alternative or a popular browser, personally speaking for myself, untill it's completely PORTABLE!

PORTABLE is the the wave of the future, and safer!

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Definitely much faster than Firefox here... YMMV.... ;)

13. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

did not make it default here it asked all the way through install for the options

14. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Installed on 2 32bit XP machines and 32bit Vista machine and no problems on any of them.

15. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

So JUST ME THEN? OK, does anybody have any idea how I can go about diagnosing what is going on/wrong o_O

Cheers

Baldrick

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  16. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I use the javascript dll from IE8 in IE7 and get most of the speed improvements.

17. m00nbl00d

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I hope the bugs get fixed.
    At this time I cannot use the 64bit version since it crashes on everywebsite...
    I dont see how they could release it like that and then say it will be fixed in the next version.

19. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Would just like to report that I'm having great success with IE8's XSS defenses, both on PoC and real exploits. Very unobtrusive, just the standard small yellow bar near the top when you run across something nasty.

Combined with Protected Mode and SmartScreen, IE8 really looks like one heck of a browser right now in terms of online safety.

20. Gianni

Gianni Registered Member

Internet Explorer 8 features domain highlighting :cool:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2dl6r5t.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2445g92.jpg

21. m00nbl00d

I was able to reproduce the problems I was having with IE8 final version. More precisely, with everything requiring Administrative rights.

I deployed a clean virtual machine running Windows Vista SP1 x86, running only IE 8. No problems.

I, then, installed SpywareBlaster and immunized IE 8. I noticed a small delay in the response, when, for example, opening Windows services with administrative rights. Then, I installed Spybot - Search & Destroy, and immunized as well. The response time increases. Then, I add entries of IE-Spyad. The response time, well, you know...

Bottom line: It's not a problem with any of these tools, but, rather a bug within IE8 related to the restricted sites list. The bigger it gets, the longer the response time for administrative tasks gets.

I hope that Microsoft fixes this soon! It's unacceptable.
    Maybe, the only way for them to fix it, is for IT professionals to "threaten" them that they will advice their clients to use alternative browsers.

A single, two, three, or even 100 users complaining won't do much difference, but if IT professional do it, maybe something will be done sooner.

22. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I know this is probably not the answer you're looking for - but I have serious doubts as to whether those antiquated programs using an antiquated immunization method (hosts file) are doing you any good at all.

23. m00nbl00d

I really don't see how it such tools offer outdated protection.

And, except for Spybot - Search & Destroy, none adds entries to the HOSTS file.

Let's see:

SpywareBlaster - Adds entries to IE's restricted sites list, by preventing access to such domains, either directly or by redirection; Blocks tracking cookies; Blocks ActiveX, which will prevent the installation of spyware and other forms of malware. (Javacool Software folks may give you a better description.)

Spybot - Search & Destroy - Does the same as SpywareBlaster; Adds entries to the HOSTS file.

Such preventive measures, may seem outdate for you, but, that doesn't mean it is for everyone else, does it?
    I mean, you may have the knowledge to use other mechanisms, which would make these one useless, but, not everyone has that knowledge, do they?
    So, in the hands of such people, such tools, are very useful, and along side with other preventive and quite measures, provide a solid protection. Not forgetting, of course, the common sense.

Bottom line, saying that something is outdated (in one's person view), doesn't make it a valid point for Microsoft not to solve this bug.

Regards

24. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Installed IE8 with no problems.Are there any themes or skins for IE8.
    Badcompany.

25. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.