Microsoft Security Essentials

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Kees1958, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Registered Member

Johnny,

I was just posing fun at trjam. The quote you pulled from that article (which I had already read before seeing it linked here) just happened to sound like just the sort thing friend trjam would say. So I left off the smiley but meant to jokingly imply we had a ringer in our midst.

2. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Oh ok I gotcha. :D

3. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

My mother's Vistax86 machine was running Avast. I removed it and put MSE beta on it when it came out. I tallied all the processes from Avast in terms of ram usage in process explorer. I think that MSE used about the same or a little more ram. Like you, I felt MSE was lighter. Windows start up is little quicker now too. Like you said the program seems to be more efficient than some av's. Like others have said, it doesn't hurt that it was created by the same people that created the os that it is running on.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

All taking in good terms and yes, I could see myself saying that.;)

5. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I can't understand why it's not valid. I want know - till it's possible :rolleyes: - what and which security updates Microsoft gives to me: there is something wrong, or offensive for Redmond ? :D And many security softwares ask if I want to share or not my data. I didn't say: MSE is bad; I don't think, and anyway I can't say it so far. I say: its policies are not for me. Free to think it, I believe.

6. Morro

Morro Registered Member

Actually after i installed MSE today i noticed that Windows Defender was deactivated and that MSE took over the job, so it has replaced it in a sense.

7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I'm sorry I just cannot understand what you are saying - I said it wasn't valid because you don't need windows updates on to use MSE, which is what you think.

Also, please name an AV that doesn't extract data from your system and send it to the company.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  8. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

Trend and Symantec want your money :)

9. elapsed

Everyone wants your money :D Even MS!

10. ad67

ad67 Registered Member

I installed MSE yesterday and found it mostly very good, but I had a couple of concerns and uninstalled it. I am using XP with 2 GB ram and Intel core 2 duo.

Process Explorer showed it using approx 170 MB at first and after a few hours it had decreased to approx 120MB - perhaps it would continue to decline. It seemed mostly very quick scanning, but some programs (PCTools firewall is one example) took a very long time to scan, while Avira scans the file almost instantaneously - perhaps MSE is doing a more thorough scan.

I have seen reports of very high CPU usage with MSE, but it never got over 50% and generally was in the 20-30% range (still higher than Avira), but when using a file manager and opening an folder with exe's, MSE takes several seconds to scan the files, while Avira uses less CPU and scans much faster.

MSE doesn't provide much info as to what it is doing; perhaps it is doing a more thorough job, but on my computer, Avira uses less resources and is faster.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Ok, I have a question Elapsed. I have windows to update at will. My update has now past the 24 hour mark for a auto update. This PC is on all the time. I have seen others say they get theirs every 4 hours. This is the one area MS has, at least to me, not clarified. Suggestions because I will be damn if I have to hit the update key manually.

12. elapsed

Well to begin with it does not matter if you're not fully up-to-date:

http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/...urityEssentialsPR.mspx?rss_fdn=Press Releases

But to the point: Unless they changed it in the final release (I haven't paid much attention sorry) the beta only updated once a day. But that's not to say there actually was an update at that point in time, it could well be when the schedule triggered there was no update, and now it's waiting for the next schedule.

13. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Some of you are using Sandboxie and Prevx with MSE.
    How are you configuring MSE and Sandboxie to work together?
    Isn't Prevx considered an antivirus?
    If it is, wouldn't there be a conflict between MSE and Prevx if Prevx caught something and took action to prevent infection?
    Thanks.
    Hugger

14. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

To clarify.....to use MSE you don't have to activate Automatic Update service?
    If that's the case, I may reconsider and start using MSE.

15. elapsed

No, Prevx is designed to run alongside AV/AM/etc. In the past I ran MSE+Prevx+Sandboxie together. On 64bit I just run MSE.

16. elapsed

I guess you need the service enabled but turn it off in the settings, but that's just a guess. I only know you don't need it turned on in the settings, I would try it yourself and see.

17. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Not sure if it has already been mentioned or not (if it was I missed it) but for those who are interested you can apparently disable Spynet completely without losing the functionality of MSE either by editing the registry or your hosts file. See here.

* I haven't tested either method as I am not using MSE; just bringing it to your attention.

18. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Ok. Thank you for clarifying that for me.:thumb:

19. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

and yes PC Mag sleeps with Norton, we all know. But what I find interesting is Bitdefender. I really think F-Secure may have found the winning combo.

21. trjam

trjam Registered Member

But for MSE, roddy32 shows update 216 at 3:48 today. I still show 198 from 4:00 9/29. I really hate thinking there has been a new version out with new sigs for the last 5 hours and i dont have it.

22. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

trjam: I have version 216 also, from 3:11 AM. But I see on the definitions page that 244 is now available from 9:30 PM UTC.

23. elapsed

But like I stated in my previous post, it doesn't matter, due to MS's tech.

Everyone will always have different versions because they update at different schedules. Also, much like other AV's, MS has servers all over the world and the updates will take a whilst to propagate, hence the different versions in different countries.

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

FD, it isnt because I dont think you are right because I know you know more then me and care, but for me, I guess I know the difference now between paid and free. Just my 2 cents. And just because MS says it is so, doesnt make it so.

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That's all I have here aside from the router.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.