Microsoft Security Essentials

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Kees1958, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well see, that is why I didnt say anything, but you referenced 64 bit and in the beta there is a 64 bit version, which only a few vendors actually have. The beta is like night and day compared to what you are using. No, like Eset, no new GUI, and there shouldnt be, but a vast improvement over what you are using. You have to register but it is still open from what one mod told me today.

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/11/30/apply-for-microsofts-security-essentials-ongoing-beta

2. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

This only happens after installing new programs, since it needs to rescan everything. If you notice after you close the window, and open it again, it won't happen again.

4. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

As I said, MSE does detect something when I try to download the eicar.com file using Chrome. But it is not the eicar.com file. It is some temp files. I am able to download the eicar.com file without a problem, and MSE will detect it only when I run it or do a on-demand scan.

5. PunchsucKr

PunchsucKr Registered Member

yes, u need to uninstall... i'm doing it right now. :)

6. PunchsucKr

Thanks for the link.. :)

Running the latest beta now.. though i can't find anything new except for the last scan details, and the fact that it asked me to submit 4 firefox files to MS (including firefox.exe :D)..
    also takes a second before the icon appears in the tray and does not let the only one other icon to show up before itself. doesn't feel beta at all though.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  7. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I agree that it won't happen right then, but wait a little while and even without installing anything it will do it again, at least for me it does. Also on boot up MSE chokes my system down to a stall when loading the desktop(Win 7 and XP).

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Any other security software loading with MSE on bootup?

9. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Win 7 Firewall Control Plus. Only other possible with both OS's would be Eaz-Fix

10. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Nope, you possibly have some program modifying something in a way that's making MSE think a full scan is required again. Most AV's these days have methods of speeding up scanning of files that have already been scanned.

11. PunchsucKr

it scans all installers or exe files on my system fully only when i access them again after a reboot.

12. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Any reason why MpCmdRun.exe would need to start a new process(+ new ID) and close it every minute or so?

13. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

14. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

15. Blackcat

It's also the command line utility in MSE.

Command Descriptions include:

-? / -h : Displays all available options for this tool
    -Trace [-Grouping #] [-Level #] : Starts diagnostic tracing
    -RemoveDefinitions [-All] : Restores the installed signature definitions to a previous backup copy or to the original default set of signatures
    -RestoreDefaults : Resets the registry values for Microsoft Antimalware Service settings to known good defaults
    -SignatureUpdate [-UNC] : Checks for new definition updates
    -Scan [-ScanType] : Scans for malicious software
    -Restore -Name <name> [-All] : Restore the most recently or all quarantined item(s) based on name
    -GetFiles : Collects support information

Maybe you could use the Trace command to see what MpCmd.Run.exe is doing on your computer?

"The data will be stored in the support directory as a file having the current timestamp in its name and bearing the extension BIN".

Support information will be in the following directory: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Support

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  16. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Thanks, it appears to have settled down. Even though this is the ongoing beta, I don't have much hope with it for me. I still have the long extreme high cpu on boot up whilst loading the desktop and the high cpu at times when opening a folder which contains folders/files. When it does the latter, the icons seem to take forever to appear in XP or Win 7, it's the same. I've kept it(released version) installed on Win 7 since installing 7 and will continue with it in XP for a few days more but I have a feeling I'm going to restore a snapshot. I've been running without an AV in XP for some time now and have gotten used to the light setup of Win Firewall, RTD, SRP and DEP.

17. Blackcat

I had initial problems with the official MSE release on laptops which were not updating as they should have.

But with the new beta, no problems at all. I need an AV on this laptop for work and of the free ones I have tried lately (Avast 5 beta and Panda Cloud) it has been the least trouble. Your problems seem to reinforce the old adage that different software/hardware mixes bring different problems.

Yep, running with an AV in real-time, even on newer machines can slow down things.

18. Blackcat

Have you tried excluding explorer.exe from scanning in real-time?

Plus do most of your folders have archives? The real-time Guard of MSE scans archives on-access so you could add the common archive files to the exclusion list.

19. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

No I haven't. I've seen this suggested quite a few times but haven't ever excluded explorer.exe. I have excluded all folders/files/processes relating to RTD and Eaz-Fix. I'm hesitant to exclude explorer.exe but now that I think about it more, in my case I can't see a problem in doing that. Weren't there some MSE folders/files/processes that were recomended to exclude? Do you know which ones? Also, you brought up another bug for me, the updating,lol. I forgot to mention that one. Updating in Win 7 started out the same as in my testing of MSE in XP, no updates. It showed attempts to update but always ended in a failure per event viewer or viewing update history. As days went by in Win 7, the updating failures stopped. It updates now without failures/errors but it may go a couple of days before updating. This ongoing beta version in XP hasn't updated in two days.

20. Blackcat

These ones which were posted by InfinityAz; post 675 in this thread.

"C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\MsMpEng.exe"

Some users have also disabled the Windows Desktop Manager, C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwm.exe.which is present in Vista (Windows 7?);

Have you tried this registry tweak;

1. Run regedit.exe with an administrative account - not administrator
    2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Signature Updates
    3. Right click and select Permissions
    4. Select Advanced
    5. Select Owner - this is SYSTEM by default
    6. Select Administrators and OK
    7. You can now set Administrators to Full Control
    8. Set the SignatureUpdate Interval to what you want.
    9. When finished, go back to the Advanced box and set the ownership back to SYSTEM

I set my update interval to 1 hour as this laptop is being switched into sleep mode on and off during the day; seems to work fine for me. In contrast I have never had to tweak the XP desktops which are always on; go figure.

If you continue to have problems with MSE, I would recommend trying the Avast 5 beta; stable and very tweakable ;)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  21. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

IMO, it's the best way to change an on access scanner into on execution one
    Weird advice (or work around) from MS :eek:

Regards,

MaB

22. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Ah, so that's what it becomes when doing that. All I really wanted from MSE was an occasional scan plus the right click context menu scan option anyway. This seems as it would be the ticket then. I'll give it a try and report back. Thanks Blackcat and MaB

23. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Change the 18 to what for say six hours? 6

24. Blackcat

Depends on whether you have an always on or occasionally on machine.

Since it releases updates 2-3 times/day, 6 hours should be okay.

25. Blackcat

On that basis I would just carry out a manual update every day, if you find the automatic updater is not working as it should.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.