Microsoft Security Essentials

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Kees1958, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PunchsucKr

PunchsucKr Registered Member

It seems MSE is having a variety of problems on different systems... though what u hav specified isn't happenin on mine.. used to have 5 icons popping up in the tray but all of them came up in their usual time. Have removed nearly every one of them since long though :) ... there's just the MSE which sits there quietly now.

2. get_it

get_it Registered Member

Give Pc Tools Firewall Plus and MSE a whirl. Works incredibly well on my system. Light, very fast and responsive. I've switched to it full time. Best bit...both are free. And its not like i have a modern setup...i wish! Running an Amd Athlon 3Ghz CPU, 1Gb RAM, 200Gb SATA, Xp Pro. Nothing fancy at all.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am not posting to try and convince anyone to use what I have but in response to MSE being buggy and slow. I was running MSE and Windows Firewall with advance security with Vista Home premium 64 bit and it ran perfectly and I am running it on my new comp With Win7 home premium 64, Windows firewall with advanced security 1 Terrabyte hard drive,6 gigs ram and an AMD Quad Processor and it runs perfectly on this system also. I have never had any issues with MSE at all.
    bigc

4. Mattchu

Mattchu Registered Member

You should be getting an update to MSE which has several of these issues fixed. Beta testing it at the moment and all seems fine. Resource usage while scanning is still a little high but some nice improvements.
    One being the last scan date is now on the GUI

Attached Files:

• mse.png
      mse.png
      File size:
      101.5 KB
      Views:
  5. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Can't run it on Server 2008 SP2 shame though, still ran it on XP Pro SP3, Vista Ultimate SP2 and Windows 7 Ultimate no issues with MSE, very quick to me doesn't hose down any of my systems including netbooks.

6. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

Is MSE removing Eicar test file from your computer?

When I download eicar.com file it detects and removes some .tmp files, but does not remove the eicar.com file in the folder I saved it.

MSE only detects and removes the eicar.com if I try to run it. Shouldn't MSE be able to detect and remove the eicar.com file in the moment that it is written in the hard drive?

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Seems to be working here; Vista with IE8.

MSE initially blocks the eicar file as shown by the initial red pop-up window. You can then wait 10 minutes for MSE to carry out the default action or simply press the "clean computer" box.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  8. Blackcat

Interesting threads here and here on initial blocking of threats by MSE and clean and apply buttons.

9. PunchsucKr

No problems with the eicar test file here as well...or any malware for that matter. Already removed one which avira did not detect...the reason i decided to give MSE a try.. i know no antivirus is perfect but i had also become bored of Avira ;).

10. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

i cant install MSE for some reason im getting a 0x80070643 error i googled tried a ton of workaround but no luck .

im running windows 7 32bit has anyone found a fix for this?

thank you
    Brock

11. PunchsucKr

12. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

yup tried it and failed. now sure what to do now.

13. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

got it fixed. had to use the Windows Cleanup Utility

14. Blackcat

@Brocke

Switching from Panda Cloud?

15. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

haha nope just testing on a VM. the Beta that is

16. Pain of Salvation

If I use Internet Explorer 8, MSE blocks the download of the eicar.com file. But if I use Chrome, it does not. It only detects some .tmp file, but I am able to download the file and MSE does not detect it. MSE only detect it if I run it.

May someone using Chrome check it to see if you have the same problem?

17. Blackcat

Just checked with Chrome and ChromePlus; same result as IE8. Again on Vista.

Attached Files:

18. Pain of Salvation

MSE does detect and clean those files here too. But I am able to save eicar.com to my downloads folder. Can you do that?

Please, save the eicar.com file in your download folder using Chrome and see if MSE removes it...

Edit: I got a reply from Stephen Boots, moderator of the MSE forum:

"The reason for this, I assume - based on some other discussion on this topic previously, is that Chrome is not using the API that MSE would hook into for the download. If you download and save the file, then run a scan, it will be detected. If you try to execute it, real time protection will kick in.
    -steve"

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  19. Blackcat

Can confirm. It will sit there until you try and run the file; Guard then kicks in and no DOS window is seen. A quick scan or a context men scan will also pick up the file.

Edit: I got a reply from Stephen Boots, moderator of the MSE forum:

Good to know that MSE is doing its job. You do see strange results sometimes with the different browsers.

The MSE Forum help is becoming better; initially their standard reply to most problems was "uninstall ALL other security software, including third-party firewalls".

Thanks for taking time to track down this problem, Pain of Salvation:thumb:

20. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

I like MSE but get a little frustrated with CPU use. The MSE forums recommend excluding the following to reduce CPU use:
    1. C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
    2. C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    3. C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\MsMpEng.exe
    Any thoughts, from a security standpoint, of excluding these to help reduce CPU use?

21. Blackcat

Fairly light here.

Attached Files:

22. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

tried it several times and it nails it immediatly everytime.

Attached Files:

23. InfinityAz

Generally, it performs fairly light on my systems also, except for startup and when browsing files. Try this:
    1. Open Windows Explorer (I use details view, haven't tried it with other views)
    2. Start clicking on various folders (preferably folders with many files)
    3. Watch MsMpEng's CPU utilization
    4. Watch how the icons are slowly drawn onscreen
    If you exclude explorer.exe in MSE, this is no longer a problem.

Anyway, any thoughts in terms of security for the exclusions mentioned earlier.

(btw - I've tried this on 3 systems all running Win 7 Premium 64-bit and using 64-bit version of MSE).

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Obvoiusly you were trying the new beta which is still beta. And dont doubt you. But by the time Microsoft is finished there are still a few enhancements intended for it.

I tell you, this little bugger is a keeper and free. Its a frigging trip, but it does work.

25. InfinityAz

No, running the latest/last release version but am expecting the newest beta, once released, to hopefully solve the issues. Where can I download the latest beta? TIA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.