Microsoft Security Essentials

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Kees1958, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

An unlikely occurrance in a user forum.:D

2. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Tried it. Again.
    Liked it.
    But it does not work with Defensewall on my system.
    Others are having major slowdowns and freezes too. Including with W7.
    Microsoft suggests that those having a problem remove DW from their pcs.
    Not exactly an atitude that gives warm fuzzy feelings.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You can easily turn that around, what in the world is DefenseWall doing that would be incompatible with a simple AV program..? That would be my thought pattern at least.

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

My best guess

Well most AV's use their own update. Because AV's are trusted processes this is no problem. MSE uses windows update functionality (service and Internet Explorer). For the OS, Ilya has taken care that a formally untrusted application (Internet Explorer) is allowed to change the OS in a controlled and secure manner. So to allow MSE to make changes through Windows update (meaning through an untrusted program as Internet Explorer), either MSE has to provide info or change something in the update mechanisme

Well Ilya tried . . .

. . . with little succes

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  5. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I've used DW for a few years without having a problem surface between whatever AV/AM I was using and DW.
    But with MSE I'm one of a number of users having a problem.
    I've used Avast, Avira, GData and Norton IS 2009 with DW.
    Hugger

6. Madmanden

Madmanden Registered Member

You forgot the explanation before that quote:

Avira couldn't detect only one of several thousand infected files, therefore the detection rate was not 100, but 99,99997 percent," an Avira spokesperson told Ars. "The rule for a VB100 is to have 100 percent, so Avira didn't get the VB100 award this time. The problem was already fixed by the time the VB magazine was published. All Avira products are able to detect 100 percent of the files since then."

7. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I know that, I was not trying to run Avira down. I picked their name because they are so widely used among end users. My post was more of a statement about tests themselves and how someone can use a given test to their advantage in an opinion or argument for or against a security app. I have read several blogs and forum comments here with the latest av comparitives test used as a reference to show MSE as not being up to the challenge.

8. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Looks like, it's their standard answer. Instead of cooperation in problem's investigation they did suggest me to remove DefenseWall twice- but I even don't have MSSE installed! And I know why- robots do not read e-mails, they can only write!

Very said that the team already made OneCare die is moving MSSES the same way.

9. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

I can understand your disappointment as a DW developer that your software does not run well with MSE. But to adopt a hard-nosed do-or-die attitude really does not help anything and portray a certain negativity for your audience.:rolleyes:

Hope Microsoft and you will continually seek to find a resolution to this compatibility issue.:-*

In my world, they say if the mountain don't come to you, you can also go to the mountain:p

10. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

You are right, of course.
    But also please remember that the hard nosed attitude is being used by MS too.
    That said, I hope that they eventually are able to resolve their differences.
    This is my wife's pc and she very much wants to have MSE.
    I value my life. Therefore, she gets what she wants. And hopefully she gets a laptop soon too.
    Hugger

11. softtouch

softtouch Registered Member

Running it on Vista 32 bit, together with DW and PrevX, PC freeze.
    Running it on Win 7 64 bit, no DW/PrevX, and it runs smooth. In fact, I do not notice that it's there at all. No slowdown, nothing.
    I ditched DW and PrevX now and run just MSE.
    PC runs very fast. no delays, no freeze, so I am satisfied with M$ MSE (I am usually not a M$ fan at all...)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  12. rollers

rollers Registered Member

Interesting that you have ditched prevx on 64 bit. I am currently running the two and have found no slowdowns etc. Was there any particular problem you found with running both mse and prevx on the 64 bit system?
    I must admit I like the back up/second opinion of prevx as I do not yet feel ready to trust one program alone.

13. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Try Sully's PGS with it, see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=250748

By the way you do not have to ditch PrevX, try running it with heuristics after age/popularity, set everything to medium (this will cause PrevX to check a lot less, but more thoroughly).

Regards

14. softtouch

I had issues with the 64-bit beta of prevx under Windows 7. Not just slowdown, but prevx gui stopped working, I had to kill the gui proces and start it manually again and such things. But it was the 64-bit beta version of prevx...

And, I do not use it any longer, because I really do not need it.
    In fact, I never got real malware on my PC, just the one I downloaded for testing.

I am programming the whole day, and not browsing or downloading stuff, its just overkill and waste of money FOR ME. MSE does the job just fine.

OT: DW and PrevX license already given away...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Me to, I am dumping ALL mine to so if you want something, I mean just about anything send me a PM.

MSE rules.

16. rollers

rollers Registered Member

Thanks for your reply.
    Although my own surfing is nice and safe, the rest of the family also use this PC, so I never know exactly where they go. I must admit that I have not suffered any slow downs with prevx, and have all the heuristics set to maximum. MSE is so light, you don't even know it is there.

17. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I really like this AV. Combined with GeSWall free it's an amazing combo.
    Ice

18. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Sandboxie is a good addition to MSE and Prevx.

19. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Hi trjam, don't dump everything just yet. A multi-layered security defense is much preferred. I agree that MSE rocks and it will work very well with other security softwares like Sandboxie, etc. and GesWall free as one forumer mentioned, etc. plus keep a good and clean working image, etc.:D

20. get_it

get_it Registered Member

What type of web protection if any, does MSE offer?

In other words if I accidentally click a site link which, contains malicious code, will MSE block it right away or allow it on my system, then detect it?

21. softtouch

I downloaded the eicar test file, and MSE popup. I did not yet click "clean computer" and checked the eicar.com file first, it has 0 bytes, even I turned the recommended actions off.
    That means, it allows to download the file, but when the file is written (or created), it block it right away.

22. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Folks,

Several off-topic posts removed.

Here's the deal - deal with facts, not speculations on motivation or personality.

There are some usage styles that I might not agree with, but I can almost assure you that I can find a larger population that would disagree, sometimes vociferously, with recommendations that I might forward. There's nothing wrong with that and it can provide a new reader a sense of the options available. It can also serve as the basis for a more in-depth discussion of some of our underlying assumptions and experiences.

Now - let's get back on topic and thanks in advance for doing so.

Blue

23. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Totally agreed. Thanks, Blue, for your timely intervention and good reminder to deal with the facts and issues.:thumb:

24. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Is there any detailed info about MSE, regarding it's components.
    So far, and please correct me, I understand there is no pop3 and webguard scanner.

25. hawkeen

hawkeen Registered Member

In a post on the microsoft security essentials forum, the mod explains that MSE does not provide a proxy between computer and email. Instead EVERYTHING is scanned that is downloaded to the computer. Therefore http/pop/imap/temp/etc are scanned.

Just an interesting caveat--remove-malware gentleman has posted about moving all of his computers to MSE along with his families computers. He had been using avira.

Hawk

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.