Microsoft Security Essentials Question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TheMozart, Jan 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Im using W7 and during an W7 update, I selected to install Microsoft Security Essentials. But now I don't see it anywhere or even know if it's running. How can I tell?

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

there should be an icon in the right hand corner which looks like a house. you will need to click on the little arrow to see it since all tray icons are hidden by default in windows 7.

3. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Ahh yeah, there it is, hiding from me :) I am new to W7, been using Vista.

Is it any good to keep running in ram? Does it slow down my laptop? Is it accurate and good finding threats?

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

MSE provides reliable protection. not sure how heavy it is.
    av test

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  5. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

How do I tell MSE to check for updates every day and automatically install definition updates? I have to keep doing it manually.

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

7. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Hi:

Searh youtube on MSE tests and see how effective it is. Generaly its good at detection (proactive) but soso at on-demand detection (not effective enough) but its realtime detection is relatively good.

8. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

If by "on-demand" you mean those YouTube punks that open a folder full of "malware" and do what they call "zero day" tests, I wouldn't place that much trust in those results.

Why not, you say? Simple: You know as well as I do some of the crap in there is broken and not actually malware; they are not bothering to pre-screen them like a major testing laboratory would. Take those results with a grain of salt.

Microsoft Security Essentials is generally very good and when I factor in the fact that's it's 1st party software, has decent footprint (which is to get better in the beta I am testing by the way), and is being very proactively developed by Microsoft for inclusion into Windows 8, I make it my personal favorite choice of free AV.

Use what you will. I do recommend MSE. And it isn't a house icon, it's a cute little castle! :D

EDIT: I should state that I am not a fan boy. If you see me on Microsoft Answers I am giving them plenty of negative feedback, so I am fair.

9. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I find that MSE RAM-spikes a bit after an update on my Vista notebook, so it isn't wise to initiate a scan immediately after an update on it. It is quite light though & was a revelation after using the heavy Norton & McAfee AVs. On my Win 7 64 bit desktop MSE is almost like not having an AV it's so light. I'd certainly recommend it to anyone, & the price is right too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.