Microsoft Security Essentials 2.1.1116.0

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Nanobot, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

Thats true..i seriously hope some ppl are using avg and consider it as good too maybe maybe not? :argh: :D

2. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Great performance, no idea about detection and curing capabilities nowadays. I would use either PCAV or AVG today for free alternative if using any AV at all ATM on my gaming machine.

EDIT: Oh and I would consider Avira.

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

you forgot avast.;)

4. raven211

Nope I didn't, bad experience. ;)

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, it sure is... :)

6. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

bad experience, huh? :doubt:
    Well, I'm fortunate enough not to have any, yet! :D
    I like avira, love pcav(wonderful product):D , not used mse but it's free and positive reviews...... so good imo, used avg for a year and don't like it at all:mad:( I had a 'bad experience';)).

7. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

i must say i'm pretty disappointed by MSE (btw, latest version). it let through and afterwards detected some adware (a "genius" co-worker of mine installed some crap on my computer while i was on holiday). it took MBAM to clean it, and now i can't run any scan with MSE, it's becoming unresponsive. not good.
    other than not feeling it on the computer (although with >70MB RAM usage in idle, it's almost as an internet security suite), i can't see any reason to use it.

8. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

wow ..:( did u try playing any streaming videos to see if it affects that too because last time I tried it was a frustrating experience:(

9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

10. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

sorry, i didn't try any streaming video.

11. windowsdefender

windowsdefender Registered Member

The problem with MSE is that it is too new. It works but it needs quite a lot of work. I think that with time Microsoft will have a great AV program.:)

12. raven211

:thumb:

13. marc57

marc57 Registered Member

14. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

^It can also be done without any registry editing by creating (a) basic task(s) with the task scheduler.
    That way you can also have MSE check for updates as often as you like. link.

15. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I have a problem, installation of MSE 2 64-bit fails. With error code: 0x80070645

Everything starts normal, installation starts. Windows Action Center pops up with Microsoft Security Essentials is inactive and has to be activated, so far so good. But then it rolls back the installation and says failed.
    I have tried both through the installer and Windows Update. I don't have any other security program installed. I already cleaned up possible traces with Windows Installer Clean Up utility, with the Fix it for removing Security Essentials and checking the registry.

Anyone with a clue?

16. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Have you already had MSE on that machine?

Couple of things to try.... download using different browser. Click on installer and select run as admin.

17. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I have had it on that machine earlier, but as far as I know I always deleted it fully.
    I have searched registry and files/folders, appdata, programdata, Task scheduler etc. for: microsoft security essentials, microsoft security client and microsoft antimalware and removed all matches.

I downloaded it once through Chrome, once through IE9 and once through Windows Update.

18. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Maybe remnants of previous security software?

19. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Are there any remnants at all in the install log after the failed attempt?

ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Security Essentials\Support\msseInstall.log

Does the Windows Event Viewer show any error about the failed uninstall?

All traces of MS antimalware gone?

All your.net framework updates installed ?

20. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

No remnants of other security software, all traces of Microsoft Security Client/Security Essentials/Antimalware, so including that one in ProgramData are gone.
    All .NET updates are installed, atleast Windows Update doesn't find available updates.

In the event viewer:

HRESULT:0x80070645 Description:Cannot complete the Security Essentials installation. An error has prevented the Security Essentials setup wizard from completing successfully. Please restart your computer and try again. Error code:0x80070645. (null)

21. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

A few more things you could try (as I'm sure your desperation level is quite high now!)

1. Make sure Defender is disabled before trying to install MSE, yes I know MSE install should do that but these are last ditch attempts.

2. Right-click on MSE installer and select run as admin.

3. Download required 'bitness' installer to another machine and then copy+paste to your desktop and try again.

4. Make sure system clock/date is correct

5. Go on holiday, computers are so fickle it'll probably install on first attempt after your return :D

22. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I already tried with Defender enabled/disabled, and time is surely correct.

I just tried it again through Windows Update, it finds MSE as optional update since I dont have an antivirus installed, and I absolutely don't understand what the problem is.

According the install log in ProgramData\Microsoft Security Client\Support the installation is succesfully completed but directly after the installation has been completed it does a rollback/uninstall.

23. SAW

SAW Registered Member

24. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Already tried, but still thank you :p.

25. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.