Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0.657.0 Final

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Nanobot, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I have it running with Prevx SOL on a win7 64 laptop and it's a great combo.
    Ice

2. ShaneR34

ShaneR34 Registered Member

Just MSE and W7's built in firewall. Before that, Nod32 and Windows Firewall.

I've never had a problem or an infection. I have the same setup on my wife's computer as well.

3. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

The best protection I have is an image of the original installation that remains untouched.
    I also have images that I can fall back on if needed.
    I use Shadowprotect Desktop.
    Imaging can save your butt if there is a problem with a virus or other malware or something goes wrong with your pc.

4. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

The only thing that keeps me away from using MSE 2 is because it does not scan files downloaded with Google Chrome. I can save Eicar test file to the disk using Chrome without a problem. MSE only detects it if I try to execute the Eicar file.

5. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

What happens when you download the file with Opera, Internet Explorer and Firefox?

6. Pain of Salvation

MSE detects and removes it.

7. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Exactly. The issue is not with MSE. The issue is with Chrome. There is an API that browsers can call to scan any downloaded file via MSE. Chrome does not do that. I started a thread about this issue some time back.

8. Pain of Salvation

Maybe you are right. But with Norton, Eset, Avast, Avira etc. I don't have problems detecting the Eicar test file downloaded by Chrome. So I prefer using Chrome + another antivirus than MSE + another browser.

9. ShaneR34

ShaneR34 Registered Member

I've never seen this problem mentioned, but I use Chrome (stable) as my main browser and just tested the eicar file. MSE2 caught it before I could even save it...

it appears to be working for me.

10. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Same here. No problems.

-edit-

I use Chromium builds

11. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

For me MSE 2 detects eicar in the temporary folder but still allows chrome to save the file to the download directory. I think it is because of restrictions imposed by the chrome security features. I get similar results when using firefox under sandboxie. I use chrome normally and not under sandboxie.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  12. Chris _MS_

Chris _MS_ Registered Member

Some good questions and suggestions in this thread. I don't know all the answers, but would first like to remind everyone that Microsoft Security Essentials is a fully supported product.

I don't want to discourage any discussion, but remember that just posting feedback here is unlikely to get it into Microsoft's bug tracking system.

Here is a link to the feedback page for MSE. It's locatable through the main MSE site, but here it is for convenience:
    https://feedback.microsoftsecurityessentials.com/default.aspx?productkey=morro&mkt=en-us&scrx=1

13. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

Looks like Microsoft has a real winner, the application cleaned a Java exploit after explaining how dangerous it was, first time I'd seen that, none of my other utilities caught it.. :thumb:

Hogndog. *puppy*

14. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

MSE v,2.0.657.0 had it's first engine version update today to 1.1.6502.0.Could not find any information on what the changes were.

15. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

me too got it via auto-update...........

16. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Will Network Inspection System of MSE 2 work if a 3rd party firewall like pc tools, comodo or online armor is installed? Any suggestions for a firewall compatible with MSE 2?

17. PunchsucKr

PunchsucKr Registered Member

just use the inbuilt windows fw and live in peace ;)

18. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Running latest edition very impressed Behavior Monitoring...customized scanning schedule...Cloud based...and it's Super Competitive from a Price standpoint...LOL ! Running alongside Prevx 3.0 & SOL...and using Windows firewall. So far all's well ! Sincerely...Securon

19. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

20. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

Is it resource friendly? when I last use it it felt heavey I do have a modern day pc but still felt the drag:D

21. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

No heaviness in my laptop. Vista boots quickly and no drag while opening programs.

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

No drag here whatsoever on Win 7 x64. In fact, it's probably the lightest AV I've ever used......

23. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

ahh Thanks..will try it:)

24. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Most prefer something that is usable not annoyingly slow. You should not be surprised 2 is well received since most tech sites and random comments here and there have been overly positive about version 1. Uncritical/sheepish in many cases. "Lightest ever!" was yelled from day 1. Now positivity fits better. Say thanks to doubters and their complaints :) Actually 1 was so stupid that MS probably would have improved it without the not convinced group but still.

25. zip

zip Registered Member

Use the Windows 7 firewall with Windows 7 Firewall Control for outbound

protection.

http://majorgeeks.com/Windows_7_Firewall_Control_d5578.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.