Microsoft Said to Be in Talks to Buy Adware Developer

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, Jun 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

What a crap excuse is that ?
    There is only one rule for Adware and Spyware : "DELETE", I don't even need the option "IGNORE" and I certainly don't need a better definition for Adware and Spyware. Both are wrong.

The option "IGNORE" is created for users to show that Claria isn't really dangerous.
    You can ignore Claria people ! Claria is good for you !! You need Claria !!!
    The next step is de-list Claria silently.
    Coming soon : WhenU (and many others after that).

Microsoft's new excuse : Anti-Spyware is for spyware, not adware otherwise we would have used the name
    MS Anti-AdwareSpyware.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2005
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Microsoft Irks Watchdogs with Claria Downgrade Explanation

Story

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I'm going to ditch it anyway in favor of BOClean as MS-Antispy always tries to download the same updates and is caught in a loop. A solution is posted in another thread but MS should fix it themselves with an update.

4. ErikAlbert

That's what business/marketing people want.
    Teach (brainwash) ordinary people first to accept adware very gradually on their computers.
    It's already happening, IGNORE means don't care, keep it on your computer, it doesn't hurt.

Bringing the adverts to people at home is alot more effective than waiting for a visit on their company website and by studying people's surfing habits/interests, combined with personal data, they can give people approperiate adverts on their computers and even personalize them, which is more effective than advertising on TV.

There are more than 500,000,000 computers world-wide, so the market is big enough.
    No wonder that business people are using adware already to sell their products and AntiSpyware companies are going to minimize adwares to make that possible and better.

An alarming development IMO. Once adwares are accepted by people/law, nobody will be able to stop this anymore and spyware has always been a naughty child of adware.
    Combine both on people's computers and you have the perfect tool to make people buy.

I wouldn't be surprised, that the next generation of AntiSpyware softwares will be used to kill the competition in favor of other companies. Remove their adware and keep our adware on people's computer.

I see myself already surfing on the net and getting approperiate adverts on my computer to make me buy what I'm looking for.
    Isn't that scaring ?

5. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

Really? You don't need IGNORE? The next time, you have a false positive, it would be nice to be able to set to ignore.

6. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

MS doesn't favour Claria. Just as ad-aware doesn't favor Whenu.
    It's just money talking.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Article

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Microsoft/Claria Deal Dead

Story

9. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

will this change spyware in any wayo_O?

10. ErikAlbert

Good question.
    They waited too long and any attempt to stop adware/spyware will be a drop in the ocean.
    The train is running and we do what we can, but we are not in control anymore to stop the (money) train.
    Adware/Spyware will be there until internet looks like a desert and nothing is left to steal anymore.
    It's in human nature to create and destroy and innocent people try to survive between the moments of creation and destruction.
    Half of the internet users are defending their computer with numerous security softwares, while the other half is attacking the rest with even more malicious softwares.
    There are no good guys or bad guys, it depends on which side you are and some people like to eat from both sides.

A user complains about adware. What happens when the same user starts a business on the internet without much success and they offer him an adware solution to make his business successfull world-wide.
    Will he reply YES or NO, while his wife and four children are waiting for food on the table ?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2005
  11. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

That's pretty funny and there is little doubt how M$ feels about money, however I'm guessing their is more to it than just money. Could it be some insane power trip?

I'm a obligated to use the term behavioral advertising? I prefer the less technical term "Brain-washing".

I still wonder at the fact that so few people ever respond when I say that Microsoft being in the Anti-Spy buisness, while at the same time producing operating systems and browsers whose numerous holes permit the very spyware they now claim to want to combat is a conflict of interest so clear that the government should make them divest.
    1. The worse they make their o/s and browser, the better for their antispy
    2. How can others antispy compete with M$, when only M$ has access to
    full documentation of windows and IE?
    3. Decisions like IE7 only for Longhorn...is it simply a ruse to keep the bulk of
    internet users tied to an inadequately protected browser?
    5. Will the most powerful software maker in the world ever have a
    product, any product, that does not compromise user's privacy?
    4. Most Microsoft Products themselves (idiotic definitions notwithstanding)
    are spyware in their own right! Some of us pretend it's not so...

...someone is going to step up and say, claria is just business, M$ is just being impartial, their antispy product is good. Their security holes are just mistakes. SP2 is really a major advance, and there is a Santa Claus!

Claria working with the government to protect my privacyo_O

I) The government is not going to stop spyware

II) Microsoft is not going to stop spyware.

III) That leaves you and me and the indy software.

What about Googles "personalized search" Ha, ha, ha! I love it!

- HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.