Microsoft rolls out developer preview of IE11 on Windows 7

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jul 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

I came to conclusion from original link @zdnet (first post) ghacks link at 17th post and ..

below is portion copied from zdnet which lists difference b/w 7 and 8.1. See the highlighted portion below ..

2. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Win7 Mainstream Support End Date is 13/01/2015.

Microsoft Support Lifecycle for Win7

This is the reason why they are rolling out IE11 on Win7. The timing of the release of the browser coincides with the Mainstream Support time-frame.

It has nothing to do with targeting users who are not upgrading. It has nothing to do with "Win8 being a flop" whatsoever.

I understand that they're expecting Win8 users to upgrade to Win8.1 but that is not going to be a universal case as can be seen on some forums.

3. henryg

henryg Registered Member

Is there a way to disable tabbed browsing in IE11?

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Gave IE11 a run on Win 7 and had no issues. It picked up all my IE10 settings and runs fine for me with Sandboxie as well :)

5. stackz

stackz Registered Member

I just wanted to thank moontan for actually sticking to the topic. The bickering about Windows versions belongs elsewhere, preferably not in this galaxy.

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Thanks for the info.

Wow more logical people exist in the universe, thank you.

7. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

8. harsha_mic

Is there any list they have given which tells which graphic adapters they are planning to support webgl?

Mine is very old...its on ATI 4xxxM gpu (and core i3 first gen cpu)..

9. siljaline

Since MS seems to be leaning toward in-Browser GPU support, much like Firefox.
    I really don't know but you might ask at MS Answers.

10. elapsed

If I understand correctly their WebGL implementation is a wrapper around DirectX with some additional benefits. So any card that currently works with GPU acceleration (DX10+ I believe) should work. We will probably see more info on it soon.

edit:
    http://www.techradar.com/news/softw...d-to-put-webgl-into-internet-explorer-1167110

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  11. harsha_mic

thanks for link elapsed. And Smart Screen, nice addition to 8+:thumb:

Guess i have to wait till 8.1 is on my laptop :)

12. siljaline

Unless MS designs one in, you can kill some tabbing functionality - but why would you want to ? This is a Developer Preview - much can and will change before the RTM.

13. elapsed

You can find all tab-based options for IE by going into the Internet Options and click the "Tabs" button, that includes disabling it entirely.

14. siljaline

Disabling tabs defeats the purpose of a modern Browser. The query by the poster is defeating to the intent of this discussion. If an IE user can't find tab options, there are user issues with the Browser. MS answers is for those that need to learn basics.

15. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I can't wait for IE11 to come out so that it can instantly fall behind weeks later (leaving users to wait another year for a new release), even as it's barely catching up to web standards that other browsers have supported for ages...

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I have no dog in this fight and I'm asking about facts. I wouldn't have assumed that because Windows 7 is being supported until 2015 Microsoft would feel obligated to make IE11 available for it - I would expect security updates for IE10. Mind you I think it's great that they are making IE11 available for 7, but I honestly don't know if this is driven purely by the support agreement or if marketing plays any role in it.

17. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

LOL. To be fair, there is the slow adopters crowd. The businesses, the users that can't be bothered about new web standards. IE plays a role for this market and is a viable option for them.

Both. Support and marketing plays hand in hand. I suppose the more market share they can grab, the better for them.

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

19. elapsed

Yeah, adopting those fluctuating draft standards is real important. What they should do is change to a 6 week release schedule and release buggy major versions that cause headaches for users trying to find out what the issues are, whilst the fanboys scream and blame the 3rd parties for the companies incapability to do a full round of testing.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  20. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

As the other poster said, I've no dog in the fight either as I'm a "whatever the hell works best at the moment and doesn't give me grief" kind of fella. However, you make a good argument. I like vendors making certain they are keeping up with the times, but there is a bad habit in the standards world of certain vendors wanting this standard, and the other wanting that standard, and a 3rd one wanting something different. There's also a habit of vendors trying to push new standards onto the world..*coughGooglecough*, when, imho, browser vendors shouldn't be the ones making the standards. Standards just change way too much.

I think that, in regards to overall stability and bugs, the short-release schedule wasn't a good idea in hindsight. But that train left the station long ago and I don't see it coming back.

21. Hungry Man

Developing support for those standards alongside them is actually important, yes. That's how we get things like OGL out so fast, and how we get dev tools, and demonstrations, etc.

lol I don't expect you to understand anything about software, or release cycles, but I would expect you to stop talking like you do.

There's a reason Chrome/Firefox moved to a 6 week release schedule, and there's a reason for the last few years having an incredible surge in web development in terms of performance and capabilities. And it's not because IE enjoys trailing along and then calling new features exciting years after their development.

22. henryg

henryg Registered Member

Reallyo_O
    The option to have it disabled in this preview is nonexistent.... After unchecking the options for Tabs, it still comes back "Tabbed". So.... If you were successful in disabling it in this version of Developers Preview of IE11, I'm all ears to "learn basics"......:doubt:

23. siljaline

I am not currently running the IE 11 preview as it is a Beta. If tabs cannot be disabled in the Beta then users will likely give feedback that they would want this option to be a default.

See screenshot for tab defaults for IE 10.

Attached Files:

24. elapsed

They are "exciting" because when IE implements them, they seem to be better than the competition. Maybe that's the benefit of a longer development cycle? Look at all the work they put into WebGL security, you can't do that in 6 weeks. Other features like hardware acceleration seem to leave others in the dust also.

Maybe you think throwing as much crap in as possible and fixing it in a later release is a proper "software development cycle", I don't. I call that the "we were first" marketing gimmick.

25. Hungry Man

If you go by the Microsoft benchmarks that are BS/ have been called out as not being realistic at all, then sure!

WebGL security? That thing we solved ages ago and that browsers have supported for some time now? I love that they mention CORS, which has been supported for WebGL for ages by Firefox/Chrome.

See previous note on their benchmarks not being realistic/ real world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.