Microsoft Removing Standalone Office Features to Force Users Towards Office 365

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by itman, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Same here. :thumb:

2. guest

guest Guest

If LibreOffice or OpenOffice or whatever free open source office suite were as good as MSO in term of compatibility, design, ease of use and functionalities, i will be on Linux right now.

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Yup. Upgrading software gets expensive.... the barriers are now falling with subscription-based pricing and in exchange you
    get new features over time. Costs developers way less than bringing out a new retail box version every few years.

4. NormanF

LO is more than sufficient for most users on a day to day basis. In an academic or business environment, I would only run Word/Excel because that's what every one else is on, too.

5. guest

guest Guest

Also, i don't like re-formatting my whole document (table, text,etc..) because it look unprofessional when opened on a non-MSO application.

6. NormanF

Mainly because of formatting differences and MSO does use some proprietary layers in additional to the universal odt. format. No one saves in the old Microsoft doc. format these days.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You guys always forget Outlook. I wish I could get away from it, but there just isn't a good replacement. Sigh

And this is why I don't trust Microsoft. They are always messing with stuff to drive people where they want, not caring about the users.

8. NormanF

They change things that don't need to be changed and people change it right back.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Problem with that is it forces me to be alert to what they are doing. I don't use software to have to play their games. That's why I use an older but still supported version off Office. At some point I might change but not yet.

10. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Microsoft loves Changes; especially the Radical ones...:( :mad:

11. NormanF

I just hate the Ribbon interface! Never asked us what was wrong with the old menu interface but Microsoft went ahead and changed it anyway.

12. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

They have to do that so you think your getting something "New and Improved!!" when you upgrade to their latest version.

13. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

In my opinion, they should have left the traditional menu interface there too, with the option to switch between that and the ribbon interface. But at least you can change it back to using menus with UBitMenu, for example.

It's a bit like the Start Screen in Windows 8.x. It was a bad decision to ditch the Start Menu, but you could get it back with Classic Shell, etc.

14. NormanF

I agree. UbitMenu is useful in bringing back the familiar menu found in Office 2003 so the learning curve is made easier.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.