Microsoft Outlook 2003 question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gracie123, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

Hello, can anyone tell me how I can make Outlook 2003 "open in the system tray" when my computer starts?

Thank you,

Gracie

2. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Gracie, I don't think having Outlook startup (minimized to the system-tray) every time you boot your PC is a good idea because you will experience a noticeable slowdown. That said, if you want system-tray control of Outlook (and/or other applications), the following website offers FREE utilities that will help you do just that...

http://www.mnsi.net/~jhlavac/freeware/systray.htm

~pv

3. spm

spm Registered Member

First, you have to tell Outlook to go to the system tray when it minimizes, and then set Outlook to start up minimized. If you are comfortable with using the registry editor, follow the steps below, otherwise leave well alone:

1. Start regedit and go to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Preferences

2. Check to see if there is a value called "MinToTray". If there isn't, create a new DWORD value with that name.

3. Set the value of MinToTray to 1 (a value of 0 disables minimizing to tray)

4. Add a shortcut to your Startup folder, setting it to run the Outlook window minimized.

4. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

spm, you only need to do that for outlook xp, 2003 minises to tray fine.

If you really want to do it, create a short cut to start it in the Startup folder in the start menu, go to properties for that shortcut and near the bottom of the properties dialog is a run option, from that drop down box select minimised.

5. spm

spm Registered Member

Sure, while it is standard behaviour for Outlook 2003 to place an icon in the system tray, it also has a presence on the task bar when minimized. What I posted was a way to have the icon appear only in the system tray when Outlook is minimized. Of course, it may be that I misinterpreted the original poster's question...

6. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

Thank you very much for the information :)

7. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

My Outlook 2003 minises to tray without leaving anything on the task bar ...

Click on the icon and a menu will pop up and select "hide when minimised" :)

Hope that helps :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.