Microsoft OS's

Discussion in 'polls' started by sir_carew, Apr 7, 2004.

?

Which Microsoft OS are you using?

1. Windows XP Home / Pro

32 vote(s)
    68.1%
  2. Windows NT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Windows 2000

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  4. Windows ME

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. Windows 95/98

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  6. Windows 3.1 / MS-DOS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Windows 2003 Server

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Windows Longhorn

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

PC1 - XP pro SP1 all patches + Mandrake 8 (Dual Boot)
    PC2 - W98 + Server 2003 (dual boot)
    Laptop - XP home Sp1

I hate patch days :eek:

2. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Windows 3.1 is also stable :D

3. GoonMan

GoonMan Registered Member

I guess you can call me a Diehard ME fan I know it is flaky at times but I guess I like working with something flaky like me. :D ;) :cool:

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

You may like to check out WindowBlinds and WindowFX for eye-candy. They're far more flexible than XP's themes - and can be faster too. Also check out CursorXP. All these also run on Windows 2000 (and Win98/ME for WindowBlinds).

I however intend to make Windows 2000 my last Microsoft OS ever. It offers stability without the built-in spyware or trying to nag me to sign up for a Passport. More arguments on XP (some more reasonable than others) can be found here.

On a lighter note, die-hard OS supporters may like to try BBSpot's quiz Which OS Are You? :D

PS: Just for Goonman, here's his result...

http://bbspot.com/Images/News_Features/2003/01/os_quiz/windows_me.jpg

5. GoonMan

GoonMan Registered Member

Thanks buddy I appreciate you taking care of me. I like it.

But one day I may swap to Win2000 I cannot stand XP at all. I have dealt with it before and when my son comes home I get to clean up his XP pro of all of the garbage he collects while at school. Like I said I am a die hard ME user so far. :D But Win2000 may be in the winds if ME ever says by by to me.

Last edited: May 7, 2004
  6. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

;)

Good luck if you do upgrade to Win2000. It is great not to have BSODs 3 or 4 times a day but I did find it a bit of a culture shock having to log in as Administrator every time I needed to install something (and then log out again). I would suggest a trial setup on a separate hard disk initially with 2 NTFS partitions - keep the Windows system on the first {C:} and everything else on the (larger) second one {D:}. Then you can set permissions on C: to Full for Administrators and Read only for everyone else, providing some extra protection from unauthorised modifications.

If you have any old DOS programs (games especially) then check out VDMSound and DOSbox - or consider keeping a Win98 partition if there is anything you really need to keep running.

7. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

Awhile back Wal Mart was selling winMe upgrade to 2000 for $19.95....a one time offer....now its long gone..can't be located in any wal mart store.
    A tweaked winMe......does just fine.....never had a complaint...in fact, I have the full install on disc.
    Win2000.....some say its not very stable.....yet imo its secure and stable.
    win3.1.....just got to lorv it...lol......an do some adding of security.
    win98........again..some tweaking..not so bad an os

present os..."unknown".....got a touch of this and a tad of that..with a pinch of "something"......placed on a box that went out of existence 20 years ago,....some minor overclocking....plus mice traps.......works for me

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

XP Home SP1 with all the patches here too.

9. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi

i use a guted version of win 98 se (98 lite) he he

although 98 even when its been striped down with 98 lite still has its problems like limited memory acritectuer and poor resause handling and its not as stable as newer versions because of this i have no intention of changing systems

now while newer systems like xp are better in the respect that thay have better resause handling and a vastley improved memory arcitecter thay have to much bloat that largley undoes alot of this improvment becaues of high over heads from meany unneeded processes

it seesm that microsoft not only dosnt understand security but they dont understand the needs of todays computer users me i want a very basic system with only what is apsolutley nessery to make the thing work no intergration and other dodgie stuff that causes problems just a lean mean blisteringley fast machen with max resauses dedicated to running my programs some of which can be very resause intencive

sp sorry for the bad spelling still trying to find a spellchecker that works for firefox

any sergestions o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.